Mavericks Blanked in Season Finale
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Kansas City Mavericks (34-32-4-2) closed out their season with a 2-0 loss at Utah (28-29-9-6) in front of a sellout crowd of 10,200 Saturday night at the Maverik Center.
The team wraps up the year with 74 points and will finish sixth in the Central Division.
The game was the fourth time this season that the Mavericks were unable to find the back of the net as Grizzlies goalie Joel Rumpel turned away 35 shots in the contest. Despite the score, it was the Mavericks who carried play for the majority of the game and finished with an advantage of 35-28 in shots on goal - a number that was 26-13 through 40 minutes of play.
The offense came in the first two periods for Utah, the home team capitalizing on scores from Jake Marchment for the third-straight night and from Sam Babintsev, his fourth of the campaign.
Defenseman and team captain Tyler Elbrecht finished the season as the lone iron man for KC, playing in all 72 games on the year.
The Mavericks will host an end-of-season signing event on Tuesday from 5:30 through 8 p.m. at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The event is free and open to the public.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2018
- Grizzlies Close Season with Shutout Win, Sellout Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Win Wild Affair to Close out Season - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Season Comes to An End in Loss to Rapid City - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Move Back into Fourth Place After Overtime Loss to Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Blanked in Season Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Fall in Quad City Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Loss Sets Stage for Win-And-In against Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale - Quad City Mallards
- Geiger Nets Late Winner in Regular Season Finale - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits End Season on a High Note against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers End 2017-18 with An Exclamation Point - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Blanked by Strong Goaltending in Regular Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Steam into Postseason with 5-2 Win over Admirals - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Defeat IceMen in Season Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Put a Dent in K-Wings Playoff Plans with 2-1 Victory - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Defeated by Railers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Fall 5-2 in Reading to Close Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Win Season High Sixth Straight with 3-2 Victory in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Troy Bourke - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Season Concludes Saturday Night in Reading - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Donate Money to Humboldt Broncos Tragedy - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Play Final Game on Road against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 7 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day Preview: Americans vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Komets Draw Cincinnati for First Round Playoffs - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Announce Playoff Schedule against Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Host Final Game of Regular Season with FANdemonium - Reading Royals
- Wichita Clinches First-Ever ECHL Playoff Berth - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads' winning streak snapped in overtime - Idaho Steelheads
- Wings Return to Top Four by Earning Point in Quad City - Kalamazoo Wings
- Third Period Surges Eagles Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Unveil New Ticketing Options for 2018-19 Season
- Mavs Add Youth to Blue Line with Beauvais, Klimek
- Mavericks Announce 2018-19 Promotional Schedule
- Former Teammates Watson, Eick Sign with Mavericks for 2018-19 Season
- Mavs Fan Fest Scheduled for September 15