Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Kansas City Mavericks close out their 2017-18 season with Saturday's night contest against the Utah Grizzlies.
Kansas City Mavericks (34-31-4-3) at Utah Grizzlies (27-29-9-6)
Maverik Center | West Valley City, Utah
History Repeats Itself
For the second-straight season, the Mavericks were eliminated from playoff contention in an overtime loss at Utah. Kansas City was officially eliminated when their overtime loss hit the score books, leaving the team with one more game to play to wrap up the 2017-18 season. The final playoff spot in the Central Division will go to either Indy or Kalamazoo, possibly awarded to the winner of the teams' matchup on Sunday.
Maverick Iron Men
Defensemen Patch Alber and Tyler Elbrecht are poised to finish off an 'iron man' campaign of 72 games played. This will be the first full season of games played for Elbrecht and the second for Alber, who actually played in 75 regular season games in the 2014-15 thanks to a midseason trade from Elmira to Kansas City.
Team Scoring Race
The Mavericks scoring race is down to two players - Mark Cooper and Matt Robertson. Cooper has a two-point edge with 47 points on the year while Robertson comes in hot after posting three points in last night's game, whittling the margin to just two points. Cooper was voted team MVP by his teammates, announced last Saturday at the annual Mac Awards. Robertson, who leads all Mavericks this year with 1.13 points per game, played in his 40th game of the season in last night's game.
VanWormer's League Lead
Jared VanWormer remains the ECHL's leader in power play goals with 14 on the year, leading Kalamazoo's Josh Pitt by one. The Wings have two games remaining in the regular season compared to the Mavericks' one.
We Like Eick
C.J. Eick had his best game as a Maverick in last night's contest, tallying two assists against his former team. Eick also was a plus-2, matching his season-best that he set while still with the Grizzlies.
How to Follow
For lines, goals and period recaps, follow the team on Twitter (@KC_Mavericks). For play-by-play updates, follow @KCMavsGameday. Bob Rennison's radio call of the game will be offered through the Mavs' mobile app and on KCMavericks.com. A stream of the game is available through the subscription service, ECHL.TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2018
- Grizzlies Close Season with Shutout Win, Sellout Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Win Wild Affair to Close out Season - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Season Comes to An End in Loss to Rapid City - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Move Back into Fourth Place After Overtime Loss to Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Blanked in Season Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Fall in Quad City Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Loss Sets Stage for Win-And-In against Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale - Quad City Mallards
- Geiger Nets Late Winner in Regular Season Finale - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits End Season on a High Note against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers End 2017-18 with An Exclamation Point - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Blanked by Strong Goaltending in Regular Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Steam into Postseason with 5-2 Win over Admirals - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Defeat IceMen in Season Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Put a Dent in K-Wings Playoff Plans with 2-1 Victory - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Defeated by Railers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Fall 5-2 in Reading to Close Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Win Season High Sixth Straight with 3-2 Victory in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Troy Bourke - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Season Concludes Saturday Night in Reading - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Donate Money to Humboldt Broncos Tragedy - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Play Final Game on Road against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 7 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day Preview: Americans vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Komets Draw Cincinnati for First Round Playoffs - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Announce Playoff Schedule against Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Host Final Game of Regular Season with FANdemonium - Reading Royals
- Wichita Clinches First-Ever ECHL Playoff Berth - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads' winning streak snapped in overtime - Idaho Steelheads
- Wings Return to Top Four by Earning Point in Quad City - Kalamazoo Wings
- Third Period Surges Eagles Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3
- Durocher's Hat Trick Not Enough in Mavericks 5-3 Loss at South Carolina
- Mavericks Can't Contain Greenville, Drop Second Game of Road Trip 5-3
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa