Beast Put a Dent in K-Wings Playoff Plans with 2-1 Victory
KALAMAZOO, MICHIGAN - The Brampton Beast continued to revel in playing the role of spoiler as they topped the Kalamazoo Wings 2-1 on Saturday night at the Wings Event Center in Kalamazoo.
Chris Dreidger was sensational between the pipes for the Beast, finishing the game with 38 saves, while Brandon MacLean and Alex Foster lit the lamp for the Beast, who win their season series against Kalamazoo, finishing the year with a 5-4-0-0 record against the Wings.
Kalamazoo, tied with the Indy Fuel for the final playoff spot in the Central Division with two games remaining, came out flying in the opening period and outshot the Beast 9-8, but it was the Beast who opened the scoring less than five minutes into the contest.
Scott Jacklin sauced a perfect pass to Brandon MacLean who was streaking in on the right wing side. MacLean snapped a quick shot behind a helpless K-Wings starter Joel Martin, giving MacLean his milestone 20th goal of the season to open the scoring just 4:09 into the game.
The K-Wings would strike back later in the first period on the first power play of the game. Lane Scheidl pounced on a rebound in front of Beast starting goaltender Chris Dreidger, tying the game at 1-1 at 14:41.
The Beast grabbed a 2-1 lead in the second period as Alex Foster scored the lone goal of the frame. Capitalizing on a poorly played puck deep in the Kalamazoo zone by the goaltender Martin, Foster put the puck on goal and bounced off the defender and into the goal for his 15th of the season at 8:20.
The K-Wings, knowing their playoff lives may be hanging in the balance, kept their foot on the gas throughout the third period and pumped 17 shots on goal, but Dreidger came up huge time and time again to help the Beast to victory.
NOTES: Molson Three Stars: 3) Scheidl (KAL) 2) Foster (BRA) 1) Dreidger (BRA). The Beast finished the game 0-for-3 on the power play and 1-for-4 on the penalty kill. The Beast will return home for the final game of the 2017-18 ECHL season, and will host the Adirondack Thunder at 2:00PM at the Powerade Centre.
For more information or general media inquiries on the Brampton Beast please contact Chris Ballard, Public Relations Coordinator at (905) 564-1684 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Brampton Beast will be bringing their exciting brand of ECHL hockey back to the Powerade Centre next season. Don't miss a minute of the action! 2017-18 Memberships are now available, join the club!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2018
- Grizzlies Close Season with Shutout Win, Sellout Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Win Wild Affair to Close out Season - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Season Comes to An End in Loss to Rapid City - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Move Back into Fourth Place After Overtime Loss to Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Blanked in Season Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Fall in Quad City Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Loss Sets Stage for Win-And-In against Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale - Quad City Mallards
- Geiger Nets Late Winner in Regular Season Finale - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits End Season on a High Note against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers End 2017-18 with An Exclamation Point - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Blanked by Strong Goaltending in Regular Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Steam into Postseason with 5-2 Win over Admirals - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Defeat IceMen in Season Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Put a Dent in K-Wings Playoff Plans with 2-1 Victory - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Defeated by Railers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Fall 5-2 in Reading to Close Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Win Season High Sixth Straight with 3-2 Victory in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Troy Bourke - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Season Concludes Saturday Night in Reading - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Donate Money to Humboldt Broncos Tragedy - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Play Final Game on Road against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 7 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day Preview: Americans vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Komets Draw Cincinnati for First Round Playoffs - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Announce Playoff Schedule against Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Host Final Game of Regular Season with FANdemonium - Reading Royals
- Wichita Clinches First-Ever ECHL Playoff Berth - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads' winning streak snapped in overtime - Idaho Steelheads
- Wings Return to Top Four by Earning Point in Quad City - Kalamazoo Wings
- Third Period Surges Eagles Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.