Wings Loss Sets Stage for Win-And-In against Indy
KALAMAZOO, MI- The Kalamazoo Wings fell to the Brampton Beast by a 2-1 final on Saturday, setting the tone for a Sunday showdown with the Indy Fuel for the final playoff berth in the Central Division.
Forcing a steal in the Wings' zone, the Beast earned the first lead of the night less than five minutes into the game. David Vallorani drove a shot to the net, but as it was batted down in front, it landed on the stick of Scott Jacklin. Jacklin spotted a teammate and slid a pass to the backdoor where Brandon MacLean deposited his shot.
Ten minutes later, the Wings earned a power play and used the extra space in the offensive zone to knot the game at one. Kyle Bushee opened up room at the top of the left circle and hammered a slap shot to the goal which Chris Driedger kicked away. The rebound landed on the stick of Lane Scheidl, who slid his 18th of the season into a wide open net.
In a highly-contested second period, it was Brampton who eventually generated the period's only goal. A loose puck at the left-side circle was reached for by Alex Foster, who axed at the puck, sending it ricocheting off the stick of a Wing. The looping try arced over the head of Joel Martin before dipping under the crossbar and in.
The third period was controlled by the Wings for the most part, as they outshot the Beast by a 17-9 margin, but Driedger stole the show and was rock solid in net. Even with Martin on the bench for an extra attacker, the Wings couldn't muster up a tying goal and fell in their regular season home finale.
Next: Kalamazoo @ Indy Fuel- Sunday, April 8, 3:05 p.m., Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
Broadcast information: Sunday's game will air on AM 1660 The Fan in Kalamazoo or online at www.1660thefan.com/listen-live.
Single-game tickets are on sale! Tickets start as low as $10 and can be purchased at http://kwings.com/SingleGameTickets%20or%20at%20the%20Wings%20Event%20Center%20box%20office.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2018
- Grizzlies Close Season with Shutout Win, Sellout Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Win Wild Affair to Close out Season - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Season Comes to An End in Loss to Rapid City - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Move Back into Fourth Place After Overtime Loss to Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Blanked in Season Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Fall in Quad City Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Loss Sets Stage for Win-And-In against Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale - Quad City Mallards
- Geiger Nets Late Winner in Regular Season Finale - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits End Season on a High Note against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers End 2017-18 with An Exclamation Point - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Blanked by Strong Goaltending in Regular Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Steam into Postseason with 5-2 Win over Admirals - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Defeat IceMen in Season Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Put a Dent in K-Wings Playoff Plans with 2-1 Victory - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Defeated by Railers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Fall 5-2 in Reading to Close Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Win Season High Sixth Straight with 3-2 Victory in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Troy Bourke - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Season Concludes Saturday Night in Reading - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Donate Money to Humboldt Broncos Tragedy - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Play Final Game on Road against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 7 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day Preview: Americans vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Komets Draw Cincinnati for First Round Playoffs - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Announce Playoff Schedule against Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Host Final Game of Regular Season with FANdemonium - Reading Royals
- Wichita Clinches First-Ever ECHL Playoff Berth - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads' winning streak snapped in overtime - Idaho Steelheads
- Wings Return to Top Four by Earning Point in Quad City - Kalamazoo Wings
- Third Period Surges Eagles Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.