Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1
BRAMPTON, ONTARIO - Jackson Leef scored a goal and Chris Driedger made 24 saves but the Brampton Beast fell to the Adirondack Thunder by a score of 3-1.
It was the second time in four days that the Brampton Beast faced off against the Adirondack Thunder. This time the showdown came at the Powerade Centre on Family Day.
The first period was relatively quiet, with both teams trading chances. The most exiting part of the first frame was when Beast captain Brandon Marino dropped the gloves for a brief yet spirited bout with Adirondack's Brian Ward.
Both goaltenders were solid in the first period. Chris Driedger, making his second start against Adirondack, stopped all seven shots he faced. Adirondack's Tomas Sholl was also perfect and finished the first with six saves.
Both teams would head to the intermission knotted up in a scoreless tie.
The second frame would see the Thunder take a 1-0 lead less than a minute in. James Henry would skate into the zone and fire a shot into the pads of Driedger.
The shot was kicked out softly and Henry was able to slide home the rebound for a 1-0 lead.
Despite some furious chances, the Thunder would hold a 1-0 lead heading into the second intermission. Shots on goal were 19-17 in favour of the Thunder.
Brampton needed some energy in the third and it came in the form of Jackson Leef. The recently called up forward redirected a tumbling shot into the back of the net past Sholl at 3:48 to tie the game for the Beast.
It was a short-lived lead, as Terrence Wallin was able to put the Thunder back on top at 4:46. Brampton fought valiantly till the end but a well-placed shot found the empty net and ended Brampton's comeback hopes at 18:32.
Driedger finished with 24 saves on 26 shots and was tagged with the first Beast loss of his career.
Notes: Molson Three Stars: 3) Leef (BRA) 2) Driedger (BRA) 1) Sholl (ADK). Neither team found the back of the net on the man advantage and went a combined zero-for-nine on the night. Brampton will head out on the road for a three-game trip and will make stops in South Carolina and Jacksonville.
For more information or general media inquiries on the Brampton Beast please contact Chris Ballard, Public Relations Coordinator at (905) 564-1684 or email@example.com. The Brampton Beast will be bringing their exciting brand of ECHL hockey back to the Powerade Centre next season. Don't miss a minute of the action! 2017-18 Memberships are now available, join the club!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.