Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals
ORLANDO, Fla. - Martins Dzierkals scored the game-winning tally for the second consecutive game as the Orlando Solar Bears (27-25-5-1) prevailed in a thrilling 4-3 overtime finish against the Reading Royals (31-20-5-0) on Thursday night at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center to push the team's winning streak to a season-high four games.
With the victory, the Solar Bears (58 GP, 60 points) built a three-point cushion on their hold of third place in the South Division ahead of the Atlanta Gladiators (58 GP, 57 points) and reduced their magic number to 20 points.
Orlando: Adam Phillips (Kristian Pospisil, J.J. Piccinich), Piccinich [SH], Hunter Fejes (Phillips, Rankin), Martins Dzierkals (Sam Jardine, Chris LeBlanc)
Goaltender: Cal Heeter (23/26)
Reading: Mark Bennett (Michael Huntebrinker), Matt Willows [PP] (Ryan Penny, Nolan Zajac), Matt Wilkins [PP] (Tyler Brown, Chris McCarthy)
Goaltender: Mark Dekanich (26/30)
ON THE SCORESHEET
Adam Phillips got the Solar Bears on the board to tie the score at 1-1 at of the second period with his first of the season at 1:13 of the second period. Phillips also assisted on Hunter Fejes' goal to give him his 50th career pro assist.
J.J. Piccinich gave Orlando a 2-1 lead at 4:59 of the second period with his 15th goal of the season, and his third scored shorthanded. The rookie also assisted on Phillips' goal and now has a three-game point streak (2g-2a).
Hunter Fejes made the score 3-2 with his 24th of the season at 19:29 of the second period, improving his point streak to three games (2g-1a). Fejes was also awarded a penalty shot opportunity at 7:41 of the third period, but failed to score on Mark Dekanich.
Martins Dzierkals netted the overtime winner for the Solar Bears just 27 seconds into the extra session, as he made a weaving end-to-end rush before curling behind the net and wrapping the puck inside the right post past. For Dzierkals, it was the rookie's 13th of the season and his 5th game-winning tally of the campaign. The Toronto Maple Leafs draft pick now has a two-game point streak (2g-1a).
Kristian Pospisil picked up the primary assist on Phillips' goal and has a two-game point streak (1g-1a).
Kyle Rankin picked up the secondary assist on Fejes' goal after being switched back to forward for the first time since January.
Sam Jardine assisted on Dzierkals' goal and now has a two-game point streak (1g-1a).
Chris LeBlanc provided the secondary helper on the overtime-winner, and now has a two-game assist streak (3a).
Cal Heeter picked up his 16th victory of the season with 23 saves on 26 shots against. The goaltender has won his last three consecutive starts.
The victory also gives Orlando a three-game winning streak on home ice, matching a previous season-high.
The Solar Bears are now 17-1-2-0 when leading after the second period, and 18-3-0-0 when scoring four or more goals.
Orlando is now 12-0-0-0 in games in which Dzierkals records a goal.
With his fifth game-winner, Dzierkals takes the lead this season for most game-winning goals by a Solar Bears player, and has also tied Joe Perry (2016-17) and Scott Tanski (2013-14) for the second-most game-winning goals scored by a Solar Bears player in a single season.
Fejes led Orlando with six shots on goal.
The Solar Bears complete their regular season series with the Reading Royals at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center on Sunday, March 4 at 1:30 p.m. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Martins Dzierkals - ORL
2) Adam Phillips - ORL
3) J.J. Piccinich - ORL
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.