Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs fell to the Adirondack Thunder, 6-1, on Friday night at SNHU Arena, losing their fourth straight game.
The Monarchs (33-19-3-2) outshot the Thunder (32-20-3-3) 38-23, but fell, 6-1, in the first game of the weekend series.
The Thunder opened the scoring just 1:06 into the first period, when Troy Bourke scored his 5th goal of the season. Terrence Wallin won a puck battle just above the dots in the Monarchs zone, where he passed the puck to Shane Conacher who sent breakout pass to Bourke at center ice. Bourke went in on a breakaway and fired a backhanded shot that went over the glove of Monarchs goaltender, Evan Cowley, to make the score, 1-0.
The Thunder increased their lead when Wallin netted his 19th goal of the season at 11:01 of the first period. Wallin received a pass from Bourke just below the hash marks and with Cowley committed to his blocker side, Wallin lifted the puck it into the empty net, to give the Thunder a 2-0 lead.
The Monarchs got on the board at 1:03 of the second period, when Matt Schmalz tallied his 17th goal of the season. Michael Doherty received a pass in the neutral zone from Alexx Privitera and skated the below the circles, where he passed back to Schmalz, who sent a wrister over the glove of Thunder netminder, Drew Fielding, to make the score, 2-1.
The Thunder lit the lamp yet again, when James Henry scored his 18th of the season on the powerplay at 14:52 of the second period. Conacher fired a shot on net that bounced off the skate of Wallin, right to Henry, where he gained control of the puck and shot it past Cowley, increasing the Thunder lead to 3-1.
The Thunder added another goal at 15:01 of the third period when Conacher scored his 12th goal of the season. Bourke skated in on a 2-on-1 and sent a cross-ice pass to Conacher, who sent a wrist shot under the right arm of Cowley, giving the Thunder a 4-1 advantage.
Adirondack extended their lead at 17:20 of the third period on the 7th goal of the season by Tim Harrison. Harrison skated the puck into the offensive zone along the right wing on a 2-on-1, and wristed a shot, top shelf, over the glove of Cowley, to give the Thunder a 5-1 lead.
The Thunder wrapped up the scoring at 17:48 of the third period on the 2nd goal of the game and 6th of the season for Bourke. Conacher sent a pass from the bottom of the right circle into the slot for Bourke, who turned and ripped a shot past the blocker of Cowley, to make the score, 6-1, Adirondack.
The Monarchs are back in action Saturday, Mar. 3 (6 p.m.), at SNHU Arena, to take on the Adirondack Thunder.
Shane Conacher recorded a five-point night (1g, 4a).
Spencer Watson was a -4 rating on the night.
The Monarchs tied a season long losing streak at four games.
Manchester as given up six goals in back-to-back games.
Images from this story
Manchester Monarchs Forward Kevin Morris vs. the Adirondack Thunder
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.