Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1
Jacksonville, FL - The Reading Royals allowed five goals in the first period and suffered a 6-1 defeat to the Jacksonville Icemen Friday at the Veterans Memorial Arena. Ryan Penny scored Reading's only goal at 1:20 of the third on a right-circle shot, assisted by Chase Golightly and Mark Bennett. Branden Komm (loss, 4-1-0-0) allowed three goals on eight shots and Mark Dekanich (15 saves, 3 GA) replaced him midway through the first. Austin Lotz denied 20 shots in victory.
The Royals are at Orlando to finish the three-game Florida set on Sun., Mar. 4 at 1:30 p.m.
Jacksonville scored three goals in 1:23. Jimmy Lodge (PPG), Cody Fowlie and Bobby McIntyre recorded the strikes. McIntyre's goal forced Komm from the game 12:29 of the first. The next goal came two minutes later from Dajon Mingo, who jammed in a rush chance on a net-front pass from Fowlie on the first shot Dekanich faced.
The Icemen scored their fifth goal on Elgin Pearce's 20th of the season at 18:42 of the first, meaning the five goals came in a span of 7:36. Jacksonville registered the first four goals in 3:15.
Reading had four power-play chances in the second period and Jacksonville had the only goal. With 3:41 left in the second, Lodge carried the puck into the zone up the right wing, toe dragged and fired it through Dekanich's legs to make it 6-0.
The Royals also had two fights in the second period and three in the game. Tyler Brown had his first fight in five years and eight days, dropping the gloves against Tyson Fawcett in the second.
Reading was 0-for-7 on the man up. The Icemen managed a power-play goal on three chances. The Royals (27 PIM) and Jacksonville (35 PIM) combined for 62 penalty minutes, the most in a Reading contest this season.
Reading is next at home on Wed., Mar. 14 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Fort Wayne, with four players hosting a postgame photo and autograph session, courtesy of Rieck's Printing.
Enter for a chance to win $10,000 with the Reading Royals as the team hosts Brampton on St. HatTrick's Day Sat., Mar. 17 vs. the Brampton Beast at 7:00 p.m. It's an easy process; Step 1: purchase tickets to the game here | Step 2: Register to be entered into the contest here | Step 3: Watch a Royals player score a hat trick vs. Brampton.
Additionally, meet WWE's Million Dollar Man and celebrate the holiday with the Royals, presented by Met-Ed! Royals legend Yannick Tifu will have his #10 retired to the Diamond Credit Union Wall of Honor during the game as. The first 5,000 fans will receive a Yannick Tifu poster, courtesy of Rieck's Printing and Diamond Credit Union. The Royals will wear special St. Patrick's Day jerseys. Tifu captained Reading to the team's first Kelly Cup in 2013 and played in 245 Royals games, third-most in team history. Tickets are available here.
Season tickets for 2018-19 now available: Early Renewal through Mar. 15 Call 610-898-7825 to join the Royals family or renew season tickets for the 2018-19 season. Early renewal and registration runs through Mar. 15. Top Early Renewal Benefits include: Extra chance to win jerseys-off-our-backs | Chance to win Owner's Suite | Chance to watch warm-ups from bench and high-five tunnel experience.
Royals Awards Banquet at Santander Arena Mar. 26 Register here. Get a pregame pep talk from Royals Head Coach Kirk MacDonald, behind-the-scenes tour of the Royals locker room and buffet meal at Santander Arena Mon., Mar. 26 from 6-8 p.m. for the Royals Awards Banquet. We will hand out the best awards from the 2017-18 season.
Postgame autograph session Wed., Mar. 14 vs. FW at 7:00 p.m. Stay after the game for a special postgame autograph session on Wed., Mar. 14 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Fort Wayne, presented by Rieck's Printing. It's the only chance of the season to see the Komets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- BCTV Royals Rewind TONIGHT: Tom McCollum Saves the Game
- Royals Youth Hockey Partners with Alvernia University Women's Hockey Team
- Royals Announce Home Schedule for 20th Anniversary Season
- BCTV Royals Rewind TONIGHT: Pink in the Rink Game
- Terry Denike Joins the Roaring 20's Podcast