Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Clint Windsor made 27 saves for his first professional shutout and Johno May scored the lone goal as the Orlando Solar Bears (10-10-4-1) held off the Jacksonville Icemen (8-11-4-0) for a 1-0 victory on Saturday night at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena.
The Solar Bears and Icemen traded shots in the first period, with Orlando outshooting Jacksonville by a 9-8 margin, but Clint Windsor and Adam Carlson did not surrender a goal for their respective clubs.
A delay of game penalty assessed to Carlson at the end of the opening frame placed the Solar Bears on the power play in the second period, and Orlando capitalized on the man advantage as Johno May knocked in his first goal with the Solar Bears at the 1:01 mark.
Windsor turned aside all 27 shots he faced in the second and third periods to secure his third win of the season; Carlson took the loss with 26 stops on 27 shots against
1) Clint Windsor - ORL
2) Johno May - ORL
3) Adam Carlson - JAX
The victory, coupled with Atlanta's loss at Norfolk, moves Orlando into a tie in points with Greenville for third place in the South Division; the Swamp Rabbits own the tiebreaker, but Orlando has a chance to leapfrog Greenville with a win tomorrow at Bon Secours Wellness Arena
The Solar Bears improved to 5-0-0-0 against Jacksonville this season; Orlando is now 8-2-3-1 when allowing two or fewer goals
May now has three points (1g-2a) in two games for Orlando since his acquisition from Greenville on Friday
Windsor has won his last two straight starts and has stopped 70 of 71 shots faced (.986 save percentage) over that span; his .945 save percentage for the season ranks first among all ECHL goaltenders
Orlando went 1-for-6 on the power play and 6-for-6 on the penalty kill
The Solar Bears conclude their road trip when they face the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at Bon Secours Wellness Arena on Sunday, Dec. 15 at 3:05 p.m. The Solar Bears return home to face the Kansas City Mavericks for the first time since the 2016-17 season on Wednesday, Dec. 18 at 7 p.m. for a Wine Down Wednesday; fans can take advantage of $5 wine specials during the game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.