Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C - On a night that saw fans in North Charleston donate 11,754 stuffed animals, the South Carolina Stingrays (18-2-3-0) shut out the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (12-13-0-1) 3-0 on Saturday at the North Charleston Coliseum behind another spectacular defensive effort.
Goaltender Parker Milner earned his league-leading fifth shutout by stopping all 16 shots he faced while Dylan Steman brought the teddy bears to the ice by scoring his third goal of the year just 2:13 into the game. Linemates Mark Cooper and Dan DeSalvo each had two points in the victory.
The Stingrays continue to lead the South Division standings through 23 games with 39 points and a winning percentage of 0.848.
Steman scored off a centering feed from the right corner of the Greenville zone on South Carolina's second shot of the game and Rays fans responded in full force, breaking the club's former record for most stuffed animals collected that they set last season (8,750).
Assists on the goal went to defenseman Jordan Klimek as well as forward Tim Harrison, who has earned three points in the team's first two games this weekend.
Defenseman Dylan Zink added to South Carolina's lead at 4:19 of the middle period, scoring his first as a member of the Stingrays from DeSalvo and Cooper. The blueliner let a blast go from the left point that went through traffic and beat Greenville netminder Jeremy Helvig to make it 2-0.
Later in the frame, Cooper capped off a beautiful passing play by scoring his 10th goal of the season from DeSalvo and forward Max Novak at 11:59. Novak gained control of the puck in the left corner of the offensive zone and quickly moved it behind the net to DeSalvo, who centered it in the slot for Cooper's one-timer that made it 3-0 Stingrays.
With a lead in the third, South Carolina's league-leading defense took over once again and allowed just six shots on goal from the Swamp Rabbits in the final period. In total, SC outshot Greenville 36-16 in the game.
Both teams came up empty on the power play, each finishing 0-for-2. Despite the loss, Helvig kept his team in the game by stopping 33 shot attempts.
South Carolina closes out their weekend Sunday with a matinee against the Jacksonville Icemen inside the North Charleston Coliseum at 3:05 p.m.
- Tickets for all of the team's upcoming 2019-20 home contests are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.