Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - The ECHL's third ranked power play scored three times on seven opportunities, including twice in the third period Saturday as the Indy Fuel (12-13-0-0) defeated the Kalamazoo Wings (7-13-3-0), 5-2 at Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
Joe Sullivan skated out of the corner and scored Indy's Teddy Bear Toss goal 59 seconds into the game, as the Fuel led 1-0 through the first period. Both teams were unsuccessful on power plays in the frame, as Indy held a 13-7 shots advantage.
Kalamazoo peppered Charles Williams with 18 second period shots leading to Zach Frye's first goal of the season, a blast from the right point that tied the game at 1-1. The Fuel went back in front with their first of three power play goals on seven opportunities, when Keoni Texeira fired a shot through traffic past Jake Hildebrand to put Indy back in front heading into a wild third period.
Indy received a 5-on-3 power play early in the third period for a full two minutes and scored twice to push its lead to 4-1. First, Mikael Hakkarainen tapped in a centering pass from the edge of the crease. Spencer Watson then ripped a wrist shot through a screen from the slot on the seventh Fuel power play.
Kalamazoo received its second power play of the game midway through the third period and Zach Diamantoni knocked in a loose puck to cut the Wings' deficit to two. But the Fuel picked up an empty net goal late to finish their 5-2 win.
The K-Wings return home for a 3:00 p.m. matinee Sunday against the Cincinnati Cyclones at Wings Event Center. Kalamazoo's promotion in Pucks and Paws, where fans can bring their dogs to the game for just $5 for dog tickets. Keep an eye out for the dog race on the ice during the intermission and stick around after the game for a postgame skate with the players.
Kalamazoo Wings 3-Packs are now available online! Reserve your tickets for the three biggest games in the best seats with the best eats. Visit kwings.com for more information about all the perks that come with a K-Wings 3-Pack!
The Kalamazoo Wings are a professional hockey team located in southwest Michigan that has been a staple in the Kalamazoo, MI professional sports landscape since 1974. The K-Wings compete in the ECHL and are the AA affiliate of the National Hockey League's Vancouver Canucks. Kalamazoo plays their 36 regular season home games at Wings Event Center from October through April.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville Icemen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.