Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo
INDIANAPOLIS - Closing out three games in three days, the Indy Fuel (12-13-0-0) hosted the Kalamazoo Wings (7-13-3-0) for the annual teddy bear toss game. Indy opened the scoring :59 seconds into the game and kept the scoring coming, putting up five goals from five different players and earning a 5-2 win over the Wings.
Joe Sullivan netted the opening goal, sending the teddy bears flying :59 seconds into the first period. The second-year forward intercepted a Kalamazoo pass and beat Wings goaltender Jake Hildebrand (25 SVS) through the fivehole. Each team was handed multiple power plays through the first period but both penalty kills remained perfect.
The Fuel started the second period on the power play, but Hildebrand stopped all three shots from the Fuel man-advantage. Midway through the period, an Indy turnover led to a breakaway for Dylan Sadowy. Facing a quick wrist shot from Sadowy, Charles Williams (35 SVS) shut the door on the first chance as well the rebounds that followed. Zach Frye tied the game late in the period, firing a slap shot from the blue line and beating a screened Charles Williams. Doubling their goal total and taking the lead late in the period, Keoni Texeira fired a wrist shot from the blueline and beat Hildebrand to send the Fuel into the locker room up 2-1.
Entering the third period ahead by a goal, Indy took advantage of an emotional Kalamazoo team, earning back-to-back five-on-three chances. Mikael Hakkarainen collected the first chance, burying a back-door pass from Bobby MacIntyre. Earning his fifth power play goal of the season, Spencer Watson fired a wrist shot past Hildebrand, giving Indy the 4-1 lead. Kalamazoo responded with a goal of their own by Zach Diamantoni but Indy closed the game with an empty net goal from Bobby MacIntyre.
Single-Game tickets are now available for the entire 2019-20 Fuel season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of a wide variety of Ticket Plans by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2019-20 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville Icemen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.