Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat
Cincinnati, OH - TheCincinnati Cyclones (17-6-3-0) suffered a 3-2 overtime defeat at the hands of the Toledo Walleye on Saturday night. Forwards John Wiitala and Shaw Boomhower, along with defenseman Kurt Gosselin scored the goals for Cincinnati.
The Cyclones offense scored early and often in this one, as 8:51 into the opening frame forward Mason Mitchell tossed a shot on goal that was kicked out by Walleye goaltender Billy Christopoulos, but Wiitala was following up the play and tapped home the rebound to put Cincinnati on top, 1-0. That lead became 2-0 59 seconds later when forward Brady Vail sent a back door pass to Boomhower who buried a shot to extend the Cyclones lead to a pair.
Cincinnati capped off their big period at the 13:22 mark when Gosselin skated his way around a defender and in on goal, and snapped a shot by Christopoulos to give the Cyclones a 3-0 advantage through 20 minutes.
The Walleye stole some of the momentum back in the second period, getting goals from forwards TJ Hensick, and Troy Loggins with eight seconds left in the period, to trim Cincinnati's lead to 3-2 after two periods.
Toledo managed to tie the game at the 11:49 mark of the third on a goal from forward Alex Kromm to complete the comeback for the Walleye and pull them back even, 3-3.
The 3-3 score held up throughout the remainder of the third period, and in overtime Toledo needed 4:18 to net the game-winner when forward Brett Boeing lit the lamp to send Cincinnati to a 4-3 overtime loss. The Cyclones were outshot, 34-29 on the evening, with goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen stopping 26 in defeat. Cincinnati concludes their four-game-in-five-day stretch on Sunday afternoon in Kalamazoo against the Wings. Face-off is set for 3:00pm ET.
The 2019-20 Cincinnati Cyclones season is upon us! The defending Brabham Cup champion Cyclones are looking to build off of last season's success, and we invite YOU to join us for the ride! Single game tickets, along with season and group ticket packages for every game this season are on sale now, and you can get more info by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com !
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville Icemen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.