Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT
ESTERO, Fla. - The Kansas City Mavericks defeated the Florida Everblades 5-4 in overtime at Hertz Arena Saturday night. Mavericks Captain Rocco Carzo scored the game-winning goal at 4:22 of overtime to seal the victory for the Mavericks. The Mavericks continued their road penalty killing prowess by going four-for-four on the penalty kill, pushing their road penalty kill percentage over 90 percent, the best road PK unit in the ECHL.
-Mavs forward Ryan Van Stralen (8) broke open the scoring 30 seconds into the contest. Zach Osburn and David Dziurzynski assisted on the goal.
-The Everblades tied the game at the 5:30 mark of the first period on a goal from Zach Magwood (8). The goal was unassisted.
-The Mavericks killed off a one minute, 52 second five-on-three advantage late in the first period to keep the score even at 1-1.
-Florida outshot the Mavericks in the period, 12-8.
-The Mavericks took the lead with a power play goal from David Dziurzynski (5). Terrance Amorosa assisted on the goal.
-The Mavs extended their lead to 3-1 when Ryan Galt (3) found the twine from the top of the right wing circle. Jack Walker and Cliff Watson assisted on the goal.
-Patrick McCarron (2) scored at 17:07 of the second period to make it a one-goal game. Levko Koper assisted on the goal.
-The Mavericks doubled up the 'Blades on shots in the period, 12-6.
-Cameron Maclise tied the game at 3-3 with 8:05 to go in regulation. Joe Pendenza and Michael Huntebrinker assisted on the goal.
-Tad Kozun (5) gave the Mavericks the lead with 4:43 to go in regulation. Defensemen Cliff Watson and Justin Woods asisted on the goal.
-Florida tied the game 42 seconds later on a shorthanded goal by Pendenza. Huntebrinker assisted on the game tying goal.
-Mavericks Captain Rocco Carzo netted the game-winning goal at 4:22 of overtime. Bryan Lemos and Terrance Amorosa assisted on the game winner.
Notes & Streaks
-The Mavericks are now 2-1 in overtime games on the road this season.
-The Mavericks road penalty kill percentage now sits at over 90 percent, good for first in the ECHL.
-Goaltender Tyler Parsons finished the night with 28 saves and has won four of his last five starts.
-The Mavericks went two-for-four on the power play.
The Mavericks now head to Orlando, Florida to face the Orlando Solar Bears at Amway Center on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. The Mavs then return home on Friday, December 20 to face the Utah Grizzlies at 7:05 p.m. at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Saturday, December 21st the Mavericks will don specialty ugly Christmas sweater jerseys against the Tulsa Oilers. The jerseys will then be auctioned off with proceeds benefiting Restoration House, an organization who assists survivors of human trafficking. Additionally, the first 1,000 fans through the gates will receive alpine hats courtesy of Safelite AutoGlass.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Zach Osburn Re-Ups for Second Season with the Mavericks
- Mavericks Sign Former Sabres Draft Pick Giorgio Estephan
- Mavericks Ink Defenseman Willie Corrin
- Rookie Defenseman Noah Delmas Joins Mavericks
- Back-To-Back Usport Goalie of the Year Taran Kozun Joins KC