Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (13-9-5) thrust ahead on three goals early in the second period, helping to sink the Fort Wayne Komets (15-8-2) in a 4-2 win on Friday night from CenturyLink Arena.
Even though an odd-angle attempt by Steelheads forward Zack Andrusiak was called back early in the first period, that attempt led the home side to garner momentum that built their scoring run. The first official goal came from an end wall battle led by Steelheads forward Connor Bleackley that opened forward Tye Felhaber off the bench for a one-time shot in the slot at 11:05 for a 1-0 lead.
The Steelheads then added to their lead with three goals separated by less than three minutes in the opening of the second period. After chasing a dump in, forward Anthony Nellis found forward Will Merchant for a net-front chip shot at just 0:32 to double the lead, 2-0. Steelheads captain A.J. White then connected with Felhaber for back-to-back goals with the first coming at 1:10 on a giveaway forced and finished by White and the second on a crossing feed from Felhaber at the right point to a streaking White net front at 3:29 to stretch the lead to four goals, 4-0. The Komets built some momentum after the Steelheads tallies and got on the board at 11:47 with a one-time shot from forward Anthony Petruzzelli from the right circle, shrinking the lead to 4-1.
Despite killing off two 5-on-3 power plays stretching into the third period, the Steelheads conceded a 5-on-4 power play tally at 1:03 off the stick of Komets forward Taylor Ross to cut the lead in half, 4-2. The Komets earned three additional power plays in the third period, but despite their offensive push, the Steelheads held their cushion and took home the win.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (10-4-4) saved 40 of 42 shots in the win, while Komets netminder Cole Kehler (8-3-0) turned aside 20 of 24 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads finish the homestand against the Komets on Saturday, Dec. 14 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena on Nickelodeon Night. Tickets are available by calling 208-331-TIXS(8497) or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket" as well as 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & ECHL.tv.
Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville Icemen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Defenseman Matt Stief Adds to 2021-22 Steelheads Blue Line
- Steelheads Host Grizzlies for Preseason Exhibition on October 15
- Boise Native Zach Walker Signs on with Steelheads for 2021-22
- Shawn McBride Brings AHL Experience to 2021-22 Steelheads
- Steelheads Radio Alum Joe O'Donnell Joins NHL's Minnesota Wild