Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest
READING, PENNSYLVANIA - Dan Leavens had a pair of points but the Brampton Beast dropped a 5-4 decision against the Reading Royals on Saturday night.
The Brampton Beast met the Reading Royals for the second time in as many nights when the two clubs clashed at Santander Arena on Saturday night. The Beast were coming off a 5-2 loss and had revenge on their mind for the rematch.
Brampton got off to a hot start with a goal in the first minute of play from David Pacan. Dan Leavens spun and fired a shot from the circle that was deflected by Pacan through the pads of Felix Sandstrom. That gave Brampton an early 1-0 lead.
Brampton continued to fire in the first and were rewarded with their second goal of the contest. Chris Clapperton sent the puck to Trent Bourque who fired a shot that beat Sandstrom down low to give the Beast a 2-0 lead at 3:59.
The Royals fought back and scored their first goal at 4:11 with Corey Mackin getting the final touch past Alex Dubeau. That tally sent a hail of teddies onto the ice at Santander Arena.
The Royals used the momentum and scored twice more in the frame, once from Garret Cockerill at 17:06 and once again from Mackin at 17:47 to take a 3-2 lead into the first intermission. Brampton had a slight edge in shots 15-14 after 20 minutes of play.
The second period only saw a single goal and it was on the Beast side. David Vallorani sent the puck to Chris Martenet who skated his way into the zone. He spied the wide-open Leavens who had an empty net and he tipped the puck home for his 11th of the season at 12:27.
That gave the Beast a 3-3 tie heading into the third and final frame. Brampton was up 27-21 in shots after 40 minutes of play.
The third period saw Brampton jump ahead on a power play goal from Chris Clapperton. That gave the Beast a 4-3 lead at 6:46 of the third.
Reading would fire back and would be rewarded with a pair of goals, one from Steven Swavely at 9:24 to tie the contest and the second one from Garrett Mitchell on the power play to take the lead.
Despite a furious final push with Dubeau pulled for the extra attacker, the Royals stood firm and finished the night the winners by a score of 5-4.
Sandstrom recorded the win after making 36 stops through 60 minutes. Dubeau would be tagged with the loss and would finish with 22 stops of his own.
Notes: Molson Three Stars 3) Leavens (BRA) 2) Mitchell (REA) 1) Mackin (REA) Brampton finished the night by going one-for-five on the man advantage. Reading ended the night one-for seven. The Beast are back at home tomorrow for a date with the Allen Americans. Puck drops at 4:00 PM at the CAA Centre.
For more information or general media inquiries on the Brampton Beast please contact Anthony Fusco, Media Relations Coordinator at (905) 564-1684 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Brampton Beast will be bringing their exciting brand of ECHL hockey back to the CAA Centre next season. Don't miss a minute of the action! 2019-20 Memberships are now available, join the club!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville Icemen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.