Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2
NORFOLK, VA - The Atlanta Gladiators fell to the Norfolk Admirals 3-2 Saturday evening in their first visit to the Chesapeake Bay in the 2019-2020 season, despite a 2-0 lead at the first intermission.
Less than 24 hours removed from their last contest, the opening minutes saw both squads feeling each other out before a slashing penalty put the hosting Admirals on the man-advantage. Captain Derek Nesbitt broke up a pass in the defensive zone before finding F Eric Neiley near the defensive blue line. The Warminster, PA native feathered a stretch pass to F Nick Bligh to create a short-handed breakaway chance. Bligh bested Norfolk G Ben Halverson to take the 1-0 lead with just over five minutes to play in the opening frame.
Norfolk F Alex Rodriguez earned an elbowing minor penalty to give Atlanta their first power play opportunity of the night. F Luke Nogard won a face-off roughly three minutes after the opening tally before feeding F Zach Malatesta near the blue line. His long-range blast was redirected by Nogard and skittered past Halverson to double the Glads' advantage before the first intermission.
With their fans clinging to an assortment of stuffed animals in the stands, the Admirals would bounce back in the second period. Half way through the middle frame, D Brandon Rumble and F Shawn McBride found D Johnny Coughlin to bring Norfolk within one. The game took a brief, 10-minute pause to clean up the shower of teddy bears littering the ice.
The home team continued to build the momentum in their favor following the opening tally. D Brayden Sherbinin found F Ryan Sakeld for the game-tying goal with 4:22 to play in the middle period.
Norfolk rode the swing in momentum with a key go-ahead score half way through the third frame. F Josh Holmstrom found F Zack Phillips for a shot that beat G Sean Bonar, but bounced off the goal post. The rebound found Phillips a second time and the Fredericton, New Brunswick native did not miss the second chance and gave the Admirals their first lead with 9:00 to play. Atlanta pulled the goalie with :84 second remaining and even earned a power play to create a 6-on-4 advantage in the waning seconds. Their rally fell short as they dropped their second contest in as many nights.
Atlanta hits the ice again on Wednesday evening when they visit the Florida Everblades at 7:30 PM. The Gladiators return to Infinite Energy Arena on Saturday, December 21stwhen they square off with the Orlando Solar Bears at 7:05 PM on Holly Jolly Hockey Christmas night. Fans can participate in an Ugly Sweater Contest as well as the Magic Envelope Giveaway that fans can receive upon entry. Gifts range anywhere from Gladiators' discounts to $500 in Delta travel credit.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville Icemen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.