Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0
West Valley City, Utah - Griffen Molino had 2 goals and 1 assist and Martin Ouellette got a 19 save shutout in his Utah Grizzlies debut in a 4-0 win over the Newfoundland Growlers on Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Ford on Friday night at Maverik Center.
Molino scored 9:19 into the second period to give the Grizz a 1-0 lead. After that hundreds of Teddy Bears and Stuffed Animals flew on the ice. Early in the third period it was Molino who scored his second of the game and 8th of the season. Molino has 3 goals and 7 assists in his last 4 games. He was a +3 in the game.
Travis Barron and Ty Lewis added third period goals in the victory as the Grizzlies outshot the Growlers 32 to 19.
Martin Ouellette got the shutout for the Grizzlies. It was the second shutout by the Grizzlies in their last 3 games. It was the first time Newfoundland was shutout and in fact it was the first time in 27 games this season that the Growlers scored less than 2 goals in a game.
The rubber match of the three game series is on Saturday night for Star Wars Night at Maverik Center. The Grizz are wearing specialty jersey's that will be auctioned off after the game. Face-off will be at 7 o clock. Tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com or at the Maverik Center box office.
1. Griffen Molino (Utah) - 2 goals, 1 assist, +3, 7 shots.
2. Martin Ouellette (Utah) - 19 save shutout.
3. Travis Barron (Utah) - 1 goal, +1, 3 shots.
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies goaltender Martin Ouellette makes a sprawling save against the Newfoundland Growlers
Yuri Terao and Travis Barron of the Utah Grizzlies after Barron's goal
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.