Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Parker Milner provided the goaltending, and the South Carolina Stingrays' defense corps held the fort, as the Rays shut out the Greenville Swamp Rabbits 3-0 on Saturday night at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Milner made 16 saves for his fifth shutout of the season, which leads the league. He stopped a late Greenville flurry on a power play opportunity on a few key open looks, and got the benefit of a goaltender interference call late when the Swamp Rabbits appeared to score on a point shot from Mike Monfredo, but were unable to do so otherwise.
The tides of the game turned early in a fluky play. From the corner, Dylan Steman centered a puck towards the slot, but it took an unfortunate deflection off of Jeremy Helvig, who left the post too early and went into the back of the net just over two minutes into the action. That opened the floodgates for stuffed animals to rain down upon the ice in the Lowcountry.
The second period is where the game turned on its head. The Rays fired 20 shots on Helvig to Greenville's four, and connected twice in the process.
A point shot from newcomer Dylan Zink found its way through traffic and a screened Helvig to double the lead. Mark Cooper capped the scoring midway through the second with a one-timer off the pass from Dan DeSalvo.
Aside from the second period outburst by South Carolina, the Swamp Rabbits held the Rays to just eight shots apiece in the first and third.
Helvig made 33 saves in the effort.
The Swamp Rabbits return home Sunday afternoon for Sing for Santa, as well as a postgame skate, against the Orlando Solar Bears for a 3:05 p.m. start. For tickets, go to SwampRabbits.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2019
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, December 14, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Windsor Stymies IceMen as Orlando Earns Tight 1-0 Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Growlers Stumble in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
- Beast Lose Gritty Saturday Night Contest - Brampton Beast
- Windsor Shines in 1-0 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Slides Past Oilers, 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Teddies Fly as Admirals Defeat Gladiators 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Win Saturday Night Classic on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Surrender Three-Goal Lead in Overtime Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Cannot Hold off Norfolk as Ads Sink ATL 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Milner Gets 5th Shutout in 3-0 Defeat of Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fueled by Third Period Power Plays, Indy Tops Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Stymied by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Shane Walsh Makes the Teddy's Fly in a 3-2 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Explosive Third Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Third Period Rally Comes up One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled to NHL's New Jersey Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Stage Set for Teddy Bear Toss against Mavericks - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Wheeling - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Gritty Is Here, Affiliation Night, Teddy Bear Toss and Mascot Mania - Reading Royals
- Controversial Second Period Dooms Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Retake Series Lead over Thunder with 6-3 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Shut out Growlers 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Swamp Rabbits Align with Florida Panthers, Remain Partnered with Charlotte Checkers
- Dynamic Forward Liam Pecararo Rejoins for '20-21
- Swamp Rabbits Ink Goaltender John Lethemon
- Greenville Battles South Carolina Stingrays in Lone Exhibition Tilt