TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - The TinCaps finished their three-game series against the South Bend Cubs with a 3-1 win at Four Winds Field on a wet Monday night. The game was delayed 70 minutes by rain and saw spurts of rain in the later innings.
After the Cubs (27-23, 64-54) opened the scoring with a run in the fourth, the TinCaps (21-29, 54-64) bounced back with two runs in the fifth via some power. First, Juan Fernandez smacked his second home run of the season, a towering fly ball that landed in the left-field bleachers. Then, Ethan Skender doubled, moved to third on a Lee Solomon bunt single, and scored on a groundout later in the inning.
Edwuin Bencomo shined in his first start of the season for the TinCaps, allowing just one run in five innings pitched. The 20-year-old right-hander from Venezuela made his first nine appearances for Fort Wayne out of the bullpen, where he was very good, too. In his previous seven outings (dating back to July 20), the 20-year-old had posted a 2.03 ERA in 13.1 IP (3 earned runs) with 17 strikeouts and 4 walks. Bencomo found success on Monday night by attacking the strike zone. He threw 58 pitches, 43 of which were strikes.
Fort Wayne added an insurance run in the eighth. Left fielder Tyler Benson walked and reached third base on a wild pitch. Two batters later, designated hitter Michael Curry, in the cleanup spot, ripped an RBI single to left field to make it 3-1. Since May 26, Curry ranks fourth in the Midwest League with 30 RBIs.
Lefty Cody Tyler followed Bencomo with three scoreless innings, which included four strikeouts. Right-hander Mason Fox had a perfect ninth inning to record his first Midwest League save.
Wednesday, Aug. 14 @ Lansing (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Omar Cruz
- Lugnuts Probable Starter: RHP Fitz Stadler
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Parkview Field to Further Expand Protective Netting
- TinCaps Release 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Drew Brees to Headline "Night of Hope 2020" with Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- TinCaps Holding National Anthem Auditions for 2020 Season
- TinCaps Announce Day of the Week Promotions for 2020