Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight
PEORIA, IL - Peyton Burdick homered twice and George Soriano combined with Cam Baird to shutout the Peoria Chiefs in a 7-0 Clinton LumberKings win on Monday afternoon at Dozer Park. Burdick drove home a career high six in the LumberKings (30-20, 63-56) 11th straight win over the Chiefs (14-36, 45-74).
The game started with Clinton scoring three times with their first three this. Thomas Jones ledoff with a single to right - one of his career high four hits for the game - and was followed by a Davis Bradshaw single that put runners at first and second. Peyton Burdick then lined the first of his two home runs over the wall in left for a 3-0 Clinton lead they would not relinquish.
The first inning runs came against Chiefs starter Parker Kelly. For a 4.2 inning outing, Kelly (3-3) was hung with the loss. He allowed six runs on seven hits while walking two and striking out two.
In the top of the second, the LumberKings added on with a Jones RBI double off the wall in left. Clinton would score at least one run in all but one of the first six innings at plate.
Burdick added his longest home run of the game in the third with solo shot that went for his eighth of the year. The blast left his bat at 107 MPH and was estimated to have traveled 434 feet.
George Soriano needed very little run support as he silenced Peoria batters over his seven-shutout innings of work. He was perfect through four innings and ended his afternoon having allowed just two hits while walking none and striking out six. For his time, Soriano (4-7) earned the win.
Cam Baird worked the final two innings for the LumberKings and did not allow a base runner to reach during his time out.
The LumberKings will now take Tuesday off as part of a league wide off day before returning home to open a three-game series with the Burlington Bees starting on Wednesday night.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.