Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3
Dayton, Ohio - The Lansing Lugnuts built a 4-1 lead over the first six innings and held off a Dayton comeback effort in the bottom of the ninth to defeat the Dragons 4-3 on Monday night. A crowd of 8,806 at Fifth Third Field saw the Lugnuts complete a sweep of the three-game series.
With Lansing leading 4-1 in the bottom of the ninth inning, Dayton's Cameron Warren got a rally started with a base hit to left field. Miguel Hernandez doubled to right to move Warren to third. After Miles Gordon popped out for the second out, pinch hitter Morgan Lofstrom sliced a double deep to the left field corner to drive in both Warren and Hernandez to make it 4-3. Mariel Bautista walked to put the potential winning run on base, but Lansing closer Cre Finfrock struck out Michael Siani to end the game.
Dragons starting pitcher Jhon De Jesus worked five innings, allowing three runs (one earned) on five hits with one walk and five strikeouts. De Jesus was charged with the loss to fall to 2-13 on the year.
The Dragons trailed 2-0 when Jay Schuyler blasted his fourth home run of the season in the fourth inning to pull them to within a run, but Lansing responded with one run in the fifth and one in the sixth to extend their lead.
The Dragons finished the night with eight hits. Bautista and Warren each had two.
Up Next: The Dragons (21-29, 49-71) do not play on Tuesday. They begin a seven-game road trip on Wednesday at 7:35 p.m. (EDT) against the Bowling Green Hot Rods (31-20, 70-51). Adrian Rodriguez (5-2, 3.95) will start for the Dragons.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons, Day Air Credit Union, Community Help Raise over $16,000 for The Dayton Foodbank
- Reds Invite Dragons to Continue Partnership
- Dayton Dragons announce holiday "50/50 Raffle" Presented by Day Air Credit Union Benefitting The Dayton Foodbank
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled