Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep
Burlington, Iowa - The Kane County Cougars (69-50, 34-16) squeaked out a 3-2 win over the Burlington Bees (57-63, 18-32) on Monday night at Community Field. The Cougars avoided their first sweep of the season.
The Cougars broke a scoreless tie in the fourth inning. Blaze Alexander led off with a single. He advanced to second base with two outs when Joey Rose walked. Next, Nick Dalesandro singled to score Alexander and put the Cougars up 1-0.
In the bottom of the fourth, Cougars starter Michel Gelabert got wild. Two walks and a hit-by-pitch loaded the bases before he was pulled. With Kenny Hernandez on the mound, Justin Jones bounced into a fielder's choice to tie the game, 1-1. Hernandez walked Alvaro Rubalcaba with the bases loaded to force in the Bees' second run.
The Cougars scored the final two runs of the night. Blaze Alexander's fifth inning RBI single tied the game, 2-2. Buddy Kennedy brought Dominic Fletcher to the plate with a seventh inning RBI single.
Hernandez (6-2) ultimately earned the win with three innings on the mound and no runs charged to his total. Jose Cuas (6) took home the four-inning save. Keith Rogalla (0-1) suffered the loss after allowing Kennedy's go-ahead single in the seventh.
The Cougars are off on Tuesday before beginning a seven-game homestand on Wednesday night with the first game of a three-game series against Peoria at 6:30 p.m. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season