Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win
EASTLAKE, OH - The West Michigan Whitecaps found a one-run victory that's been hard to come by during the 2019 season, edging the Lake County Captains by a score of 6-5 on Sunday at Classic Park.
The Whitecaps won their first one-run game away from Fifth Third Ballpark since a 6-5 victory on May 4 at Burlington's Community Field. A total of five home runs occurred in the contest.
West Michigan opened the scoring in the second when Andre Lipcius launched his second home run of the season with an opposite-field shot that carried the right-field wall for a 1-0 lead. In the third, Parker Meadows delivered an RBI-single before Bryant Packard launched his third home run of the season - a two-run shot to extend the edge to 4-0. In the fourth, shortstop Wenceel Perez committed a throwing error on a routine ground ball with two outs, allowing the frame to continue and the following two batters each homered in Miguel Jerez and Josh Rolette. In the fifth, Meadows and Riley Greene teamed up for back-to-back triples to increase the "Caps lead to 5-3. The two teams exchanged single runs in the later innings, and Lipcius chipped in a run-scoring single to provide the "Caps much-needed insurance. In the bottom of the frame, Bo Naylor launched an opposite-field home run to narrow the West Michigan edge to 6-5, but Greene made a spectacular diving catch near the left-center field wall to end the threat.
Bass (4-3) pitched 6.1 innings and gave up four runs and struck out five in his fourth Whitecaps victory since rejoining the ballclub in July. Lake County starter Zach Draper (7-3) gave up five runs in 4.2 frames in suffering a rare loss - his third of the season. Chance Kirby tossed the final 2.2 frames in relief to pick up his first career Whitecaps save. The Whitecaps record improves to 17-32 in the second half and 38-80 overall while the Captains drop to 25-24 in the second half and 65-53 this season. Meadows and Lipcius each recorded a pair of hits for the "Caps in the victory.
The Whitecaps conclude their three-game series against the Lake County Captains Monday night at Classic Park beginning at 7:00 pm. Pitcher Wilkel Hernandez starts for West Michigan against the Captains Matt Turner. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty starts on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:50 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps