Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight
DAYTON, OH - Gabriel Moreno belted his 11th home run of the season, a two-run shot, and the Lansing Lugnuts (26-24, 58-61) held on late to beat the Dayton Dragons (21-29, 49-71), 4-3, on Monday night at Fifth Third Field.
The victory completed a three-game road sweep and extended the Nuts' winning streak to four games - which matches Lansing's longest winning streak of the season, set from April 15-18.
Coupled with South Bend's 3-1 loss in Fort Wayne, the Lugnuts pulled within one game of the Cubs for the Eastern Division's final playoff berth. 20 games remain in the regular season.
With the game scoreless in the third inning, a two-out fielding error by Dayton shortstop Miguel Hernandez allowed Griffin Conine to reach. Moreno followed with an impressive drive over the wall in right-center, supplying a 2-0 lead against Dayton right-hander Jhon De Jesus (Loss, 2-13).
Starter Sean Wymer (Win, 7-11) tossed 5 1/3 innings, allowing only a Jay Schuyler solo home run in the fourth, and striking out three, while the Lugnuts increased their lead to 4-1 on a run-scoring wild pitch in fifth and a Rafael Lantigua RBI single in the sixth.
That 4-1 lead remained in place until a last-ditch Dayton rally in the bottom of the ninth against closer Cre Finfrock. With one out, Cameron Warren singled to left and Hernandez doubled him to third. After Miles Gordon popped out, pinch-hitter Morgan Lofstrom delivered a two-run double to pull the Dragons within a run. Mariel Bautista walked, putting the game-winning run aboard, but Finfrock struck out Michael Siani to end the game and record his league-leading 14th save.
Moreno, Lantigua and Yorman Rodriguez each finished 2-for-4. Rodriguez supplied a single and a double, giving him 10 hits - five for extra bases - in his first four Lugnuts games.
After a league-wide day off on Tuesday, the Lugnuts return to Cooley Law School Stadium on Wednesday, August 14th, to open a seven-game homestand against Fort Wayne and Dayton. To live the Lug Life and purchase tickets, visit lansinglugnuts.com, call (517) 485-4500 or come to the Cooley Law School Stadium box office at 505 E. Michigan Ave. in downtown Lansing.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.