'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss
EASTLAKE, OH - Dayton Dugas launched a two-run home run as West Michigan Whitecaps pitchers gave up 13 runs as part of a 13-6 loss to the Lake County Captains Monday night at Classic Park.
Dugas, who last homered in a game July 10 on a grand slam against Quad Cities, drilled his second homer of the year to help the 'Caps narrow their deficit to two runs before Lake County scored six consecutive times against the West Michigan bullpen.
Lake County exploded out of the gates by scoring six runs against West Michigan starting pitcher Wilkel Hernandez, who retired just one batter before being pulled from the contest. A two-run triple by Bo Naylor and RBI-singles by Daniel Schnemann and Connor Smith highlighted the outburst. Over the next four frames, the "Caps trimmed their deficit to just a pair of runs. Zach Malis opened the visitors scoring with a triple before Wenceel Perez's infield single plated Malis to collect two in the second. In the fourth, Dugas' homer and an RBI-groundout by Riley Greene made the Whitecaps competitive at 7-5. The following two innings watched Lake County reestablish their large lead with two in the fifth and four in the sixth. Two-run singles by Schneemann and Jonathan Engelmann highlighted the Captains sixth to extend the lead to 13-5. Malis' third hit of the game delivered an eighth-inning tally, scoring newcomer Corey Joyce to finished the "Caps scoring at 13-6.
Bass (4-3) pitched 6.1 innings and gave up four runs and struck out five in his fourth Whitecaps victory since rejoining the ballclub in July. Lake County starter Zach Draper (7-3) gave up five runs in 4.2 frames in suffering a rare loss - his third of the season. Chance Kirby tossed the final 2.2 frames in relief to pick up his first career Whitecaps save. The Whitecaps fall to 17-33 in the second half and 38-81 overall while the Captains win the series and improve to 26-24 in the second half and 66-53 this season. Joyce, who was added to the roster on Sunday, went 2-for-4 with a double and two runs scored in his debut.
The Whitecaps enjoy a Tuesday off-day before opening a seven-game homestand on Wednesday night against the Great Lakes Loons at Fifth Third Ballpark beginning at 7:05 pm. Pitcher Hugh Smith starts for West Michigan, while the Loons starter is to be determined. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty and Mike Coleman begins on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:55 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.