Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels were denied in another sweep opportunity against the Beloit Snappers within a 4-3 loss Monday at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Beloit (22-28, 49-69) picked up exactly one victory in all four series played so far against Cedar Rapids (29-21, 68-52) with the Kernels winning the series every time.
Josh Winder limited the damage over five innings of work, but the Snappers managed to jump in front, 1-0. His lone run allowed came in the third when Max Schuemann's RBI double plated Joseph Pena and put Beloit ahead.
Beloit extended its lead to 3-0 against Alex Schick within the top of the sixth inning. Devin Foyle led off the frame with his team-high-tying sixth home run of the season. Nick Ward padded the advantage on a sacrifice fly that drove in Skyler Weber.
Richard Guasch and Joe DeMers (4-3) kept the Kernels scoreless until Cedar Rapids pulled even during the eighth. Gilberto Celestino hit an RBI double to bring in Daniel Ozoria, and Gabe Snyder followed with a two-run home run to tie the contest at 3-3. Snyder's blast was his team-high 16th homer and the Midwest League-leading 98th round-tripper for the Kernels.
Rickey Ramirez (0-1) was perfect in relief before allowing the Snappers to claim their 4-3 winning margin in the ninth. Ward and Pena collected one-out singles to put runners at the corners. Schuemann batted next and grounded into an RBI force out with Ward coming home from third base.
DeMers received credit for the victory, and Charlie Cerny earned his active-team-high eighth save. Cerny gave up a two-out single but nothing else within the bottom of the ninth.
Cedar Rapids will be idle Tuesday before heading to Wisconsin to begin a 10-game road swing. Wednesday's opener starts at 7:05 p.m., and Kernels southpaw Kody Funderburk (0-2, 4.45) will start against Timber Rattlers right-hander Justin Jarvis (3-1, 2.84). Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will call the action on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks