Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1
South Bend, IN: The series finale between the South Bend Cubs and Fort Wayne TinCaps on Monday night from Four Winds Field was pushed back an hour and 10 minutes due to rain moving through northern Indiana. With the tarp being pulled off around 7:30, the clubs were set for an 8:15 start.
Right-hander Carlos Vega gave the Cubs a chance to win in his first professional start. The usual middle inning reliever was tasked with starting the series finale due to a change in the rotation. In his last eight innings at home, Vega has not given up a run. Tonight, he fired four shutout innings and struck out one batter to leave Fort Wayne scoreless through the first four.
South Bend was on the board first in all three games this series. That continued on Monday as the Cubs scored their first and only run in the bottom of the 4th thanks to a bloop single by Yonathan Perlaza. In the final two games against Fort Wayne, Perlaza had a combined three RBI.
Out of the bullpen first for South Bend was righty Fauris Guerrero. On his third pitch of the night, catcher Juan Fernandez took him deep to tie the game at 1-1. Later in the inning, Kelvin Alarcon grounded into a 4-6-3 double play and Ethan Skender scored the eventual game winning run to make it 2-1.
In the 8th, Michael Curry drove in Tyler Benson with a single off of Sean Barry for a two-run TinCaps lead. The Cubs were not able to rally in the late innings and dropped the game 3-1.
Even with the loss, South Bend still takes the series two games out of three and will regroup with their off day tomorrow. The Cubs will next face the Lake County Captains on the road for three games. In total, it is a seven game road trip with four against the Great Lakes Loons following.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Announce New Assistant General Manager
- Cubs Offer Black Friday Ticket Packages Available November 27
- South Bend Cubs Release Holiday Sale Schedule
- Cubs Host Second VIP Football Watch Party November 7
- FAQ: Stu & Swoop's Cops and Goblins on October 26