Loons Drop Series Finale
MIDLAND, Mich. - Despite out-hitting the Bowling Green Hot Rods, four runs in the first inning was too much to overcome for the Great Lakes Loons as they dropped the series finale 4-1 on Monday afternoon at Dow Diamond.
The juxtaposition between the two scoring plays for the Hot Rods was a bit striking: a two-run home run for Jordan Qsar, followed by a dropped fly ball from Loons outfielder Romer Cuadrado that would've ended the inning, allowing two more runs to score.
Unfortunately for the Loons, four runs would be more than enough as the only rim in the game for Great Lakes came when Justin Yurchak grounded into a double play, allowing his teammate Cuardrado to score.
Leonel Valrea, who's been on a tear since the early part of July, had the only multi-hit game for the Loons going 2-for-4. Since hitting .145 in the month of April, Leonel Valera has improved in every month of the season. Specifically since he turned 20 on July 9, Valera has played in 27 games and is slashing .294/.389/.450 with 32 hits, 16 walks and 13 stolen bases.
Making his eighth start since being drafted in the fifth round out of Stanford by the Los Angeles Dodgers, Jack Little lasted 0.2 inning allowing the four runs (two earned). Jose Chacin and Justin Bruihl were both excellent with Chacin tossing 6.1 innings allowing just three hits, with Bruihl going the other two surrendering just one. The duo combined for nine strikeouts.
The Loons will have a league-wide off day on Tuesday before a three-game road trip to greater Grand Rapids to take on the West Michigan Whitecaps. They return to Midland on Saturday, August 17th to begin a seven-game homestand. Just 10 home games remain in the regular season.
Aug 17: Fairy Tale Kingdom Night
Aug 18: Back to School Lunch Box Giveaway
Aug 19: Postgame Veterans Run the Bases
Aug 20: Two-fer Tuesday
Aug 21: Camels Bottle Opener Coaster Giveaway
Aug 22: Lucky Hot Dog & Michigander Night
Aug 23: The Office Night feat. Brian Baumgartner (aka Kevin Malone)
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Cubs Drop Finale to TinCaps 3-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Nuts Sweep Dragons, Win 4th Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Win Series, Drop Finale - Burlington Bees
- Middle of Lineup Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Win South Bend Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Picantes' Offense Smoking Hot - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Avoid Sweep With 9th Inning Push In Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Tops Cedar Rapids in Series Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Score Six in 13-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lansing Holds off Dragons 9th Inning Comeback Bid to Win, 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Pitcher Pardinho Placed on Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 14-16 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Edges River Bandits 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peyton Burdick Named Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Burdick Homers Twice, LumberKings Win 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 at South Bend (Game 118) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Come up Short in Series Finale at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Drop Series Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers Again, Trageton K's Nine in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF James Nix transferred from GCL Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kirby, Greene Save 'Caps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Great Lakes Loons Stories
- Dodgers Minor League Affiliate Plans to Include Loons
- Go Green! Go Blue! Watch Party Coming to Dow Diamond October 31
- Dow vs Midland Football Watch Party Tickets on Sale Friday
- Loons to Host High School Football Watch Parties at Dow Diamond
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled