TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts
LANSING, Mich. - The TinCaps trounced the Lansing Lugnuts (Toronto Blue Jays affiliate), 12-4, on Thursday night at Cooley Law School Stadium. Fort Wayne led by as many as 10 runs on a night when the offense had 13 hits (four extra-base hits), four walks, and a hit by pitch, while the defense made some highlight plays and the pitching was solid.
Fort Wayne (22-30, 55-65) built a 5-0 lead with a run in the second inning and four in the fourth. The 'Caps benefitted from four Lugnuts errors, including one in the second and a pair in the fourth.
TinCaps starter Efraín Contreras yielded a pair of runs in the fifth, but was otherwise strong in his five innings. The 19-year-old from Mexico had three strikeouts to one walk, while scattering five hits-four singles and a double.
Lansing (27-24, 59-61) nearly tied the game in the second when Jake Brodt doubled with Rafael Lantigua at first base. However, right fielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton collected the ball on the warning track and threw it to first baseman Lee Solomon, who relayed the ball to catcher Blake Hunt, who applied a tag on Lantigua before he touched home.
In the home third inning, third baseman Ethan Skender made a diving stop on a ball hit hard on the ground by D.J. Neal. Reminiscent of San Diego's Manny Machado, Skender threw to first from foul territory while Solomon stretched to receive the ball in time for the out, despite Neal's prolific speed. (He played wide receiver on the University of South Carolina's football team.)
Offensively, the TinCaps responded to the Lugnuts' runs in the fifth with a pair immediately in the top of the sixth as left fielder Tyler Benson banged an RBI double and Solomon, who had a fourth-inning sacrifice fly, added a run-scoring single.
Fort Wayne scored thrice in the eighth. The exclamation point came in the ninth when shortstop Justin Lopez hit a two-run homer to right field. The 19-year-old leads the team with 11 homers on the season. (Michael Curry is second with seven.)
All nine in the starting lineup had at least one hit. Hunt paced the team with three hits, counting a triple to spark the fourth.
Following Contreras, Henry Henry pitched three scoreless innings of relief. Austin Smith conceded a pair of runs in the ninth with two outs.
Friday, Aug. 16 @ Lansing (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Cullen Dana
- Lugnuts Probable Starter: RHP Troy Miller
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Renfroe Representing TinCaps in 2020 World Series
- TinCaps Virtual Beer Tasting on Tap
- Weathers 1 of 23 Fort Wayne Alums in MLB Postseason
- TinCaps to Host a Second Movie Night (The Sandlot) Presented by Lancia Homes
- 260 to the Show Report: 46 Former Fort Wayne Players in Big Leagues in 2020