Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning
Eastlake, OH: Despite recording just two hits in the game, the Lake County Captains found a way to squeak out a 2-1 win over the South Bend Cubs in game two of their three game series. With their lone run in the 5th inning, the Cubs forced extras, but fell in the bottom of the 10th on a Bo Naylor game winning single.
A trio of right-handers in Zach Mort, Sean Barry, and Brian Glowicki allowed just one run through the first nine innings. Lake County's only run not recorded in extras came all the way back in the bottom of the 1st inning against Mort. The former George Mason pitcher Mort finished his outing with just one hit allowed and two strikeouts, but he walked six Captains.
Barry tossed two shutout frames and recorded two strikeouts. Glowicki pitched a scoreless 8th and 9th inning, and was then tasked with returning for the 10th. With a runner automatically placed at second base to start, Lake County's Billy Wilson reached and pushed Makesiondon Kelkboom to third on a sacrifice bunt and a throwing error.
After Quentin Holmes and Clark Scolamiero both struck out, Glowicki allowed the RBI single and the Captains tied the series.
Offensively, Clayton Daniel recorded the lone Cubs RBI in his second game since returning from the injured list.
South Bend will have the opportunity to win the series tomorrow in the rubber game at Classic Park. Right-hander Derek Casey is the expected starter for the Cubs.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Chicago Cubs Name Brennen Davis Minor League Player of the Year
- South Bend Cubs Win Midwest League Championship by Sweeping Clinton
- Roederer's Hustle in Extras Leads to 3-2 Game Two Win over Clinton
- Maldonado Carries Cubs to 3-1 Win to Open Midwest League Championship
- First responders and military can attend this Wednesday's Midwest League championship game for free