Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss
LANSING, Mich. - Otto Lopez went 2-for-5 with a two-run single to extend his hitting streak to 16 games, but that was one of the few bright spots for the Lansing Lugnuts (27-25, 59-62) in a 12-4 loss to the Fort Wayne TinCaps (22-30, 55-65) on Thursday night at Cooley Law School Stadium, ending the Lugnuts' season high five-game winning streak.
However, since South Bend lost in ten innings to Lake County, 2-1, the Nuts stayed one game behind the Cubs for the Eastern Division's final playoff berth. 18 games remain in the regular season.
The Lugnuts had allowed a total of 14 runs in winning five straight games against the Cubs, Dayton Dragons and TinCaps, but fell victim to a 13-hit barrage and mistakes of their own making.
Aided by a missed-catch error by second baseman LJ Talley, the TinCaps took a 1-0 lead in the second inning, and then added four more runs in the fourth aided by errors charged to Talley and first baseman Jake Brodt.
Lugnuts starter Troy Watson (Loss, 6-4) pitched five innings, giving up five runs - only one of which was earned - on five hits and three walks.
The Nuts carved away at the deficit with two runs in the bottom of the fifth against Fort Wayne starter Efrain Contreras (Win, 5-5).
But the TinCaps answered with two runs in the sixth off Will McAffer, three runs in the eighth off Juan Nuñez, and a two-run Justin Lopez homer in the ninth off debuting right-hander Jose Espada - the 800th player to play for the Lugnuts in franchise history.
Lugnuts shortstop Lopez delivered a two-out, two-run single in the bottom of the ninth inning to close out the scoring.
In defeat, designated hitter Ryan Gold went 2-for-4 with a single and his team-leading 25th double for the Lugnuts.
The rubber match of the three-game series will be held at 7:05 p.m. Friday, Faith and Family Night with post-game LAFCU Fireworks! Lugnuts right-hander Troy Miller (5.25 ERA) starts against Fort Wayne southpaw Cullen Dana (5.21). To live the Lug Life and purchase tickets, visit lansinglugnuts.com, call (517) 485-4500 or come to the Cooley Law School Stadium box office at 505 E. Michigan Ave. in downtown Lansing.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.