Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss
CLINTON, IA - Seven walks by Clinton LumberKings pitching was too much to overcome in a 4-1 loss to the Burlington Bees on Thursday night at NelsonCorp Field. The LumberKings (31-21, 64-57) loss brings to an end a five-game winning streak as Burlington (19-33, 58-64) lead throughout.
Jake Walters started for Clinton and had his four-game winning streak snapped with his first loss since June 22nd. Over a 2.1 inning outing, Walters (4-4) allowed two runs on five hits while walking three and striking out two.
Burlington scored the game's first runs in the top of the third inning. The first four batters of the inning reached with Keinner Pina capping the rally with a sacrifice fly to right field.
In the top of the fifth, the Bees added to their lead with a run against LumberKings reliever Raul Brito. The run was scored on the second walk of the inning that came with the bases loaded.
Gregory Veliz (1-1) earned the win for Burlington for a 1.1 inning relief outing. He allowed no runs on one hit while walking none and striking out two.
The LumberKings scored their only run of the night in the bottom of the seventh. Bubba Hollins doubled to left to open the inning with Thomas Jones following with an RBI double behind the bag at third.
Burlington reclaimed their three-run lead in the top of the ninth inning on an RBI single by John Jones.
In the bottom of the ninth, Clinton brought the potential tying run to the plate but came no closer. Kameron Misner struck out looking to end the game - the 15th strikeout by Bees pitching on the night.
The LumberKings will meet the Burlington Bees for final game of their three-game series on Friday night. Clinton will throw righty Josh Roberson (1-3, 2.55) while Burlington will tap righty Clayton Chatham (1-2, 3.00). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
Arrive early for one of the greatest giveaways of the season! The second and last bobblehead giveaway of the season brings the homestand to an end with Denny McLain bobblehead giveaway courtesy of Mediacom and Casey's. McLain himself will be on hand to sign autographs and take pictures with fans as he returns to the site of his 1962 season as a member of the Clinton C-Sox.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th