Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel
Bowling Green, KY - The Bowling Green Hot Rods locked into a four-hour, 11-minute battle with the Dayton Dragons, but fell short in a 12-inning, 4-1 loss. The Hot Rods fell to 69-52, 30-21 in the second half ahead of Thursday's game, featuring a 6:35 p.m. first pitch.
Starters Shane Baz and Adrian Rodriguez dueled, trading zeroes early on. In the fifth, Dayton threatened against Baz, loading the bases with two outs. However, Morgan Lofstrom grounded out to end the threat, keeping the game scoreless.
Bowling Green mounted a fifth-inning threat, putting two men on with one out, chasing Rodriguez from the game. Jerry D'Andrea came out of the Dayton bullpen and retired Grant Witherspoon and Ruben Cardenas to quell the threat.
Both bullpens continued to keep the game scoreless. In the bottom of the eighth, the Hot Rods loaded the bases with two outs on two walks and a single against Dayton pitcher Andrew McDonald. Aranda worked the count full, but lined out to center, reserving the scoreless tie, which remained into the tenth inning.
The game went into the 11th as both teams stranded runners at third in the first extra frame. In the 11th, Miguel Hernandez started the inning on second against Nathan Witt, then moved to third on a wild pitch. After two strikeouts, Lofstrom pulled an 0-2 pitch into right field, scoring Hernandez for the first run of the game.
In the bottom of the 11th, the Hot Rods struck back. With Ruben Cardenas on second, Daytor hurler Matt Pidich struck out Jordan Qsar, but Chris Betts reached on a throwing error by Dayton second baseman Randy Ventura, allowing Cardenas to score from second, tying the game at one and sending the contest to the 12th.
In the 12th, Dayton broke through against new itcher Hector Figueroa. After a single to open the frame put runners on the corners, Bowling Green cut down Juan Martinez at the plate. Ventura then hit a chopper to first that Seaver Whalen fielded, but threw errantly to first, allowing two runs to score. The Dragons added another run in the inning to take a three-run lead. Pidich came back out for the 12th and set down the Hot Rods, sending Bowling Green to a 4-1 defeat.
Baz went 5.0 innings, allowing no runs on three hits, while walking two and striking out four in a no-decision. Chris Muller threw a scoreless inning, working around a walk and striking out two. Sprengel threw 3.0 shutout innings in relief, allowing one hit and striking out three. Witt tossed 2.0 frames, allowing an unearned run on one hits, while striking out three. Figueroa (0-1) allowed three runs (all unearned) in his one inning of work, taking the loss.
Notes: Aranda has a six-game hitting streak...Alvarez has 28 multi-hit contests...Proctor walked three times, tying his season and career-high (also June 22 at South Bend)...Baz recorded his fourth scoreless start, his first since June 22 at South Bend...The Hot Rods were 0-for-17 with runners in scoring position...This was the third time in franchise history (also May 31 and June 15, 2012) that the Hot Rods have been played a scoreless game through nine innings...The 12-inning contest is the second-longest by innings this season...BG is 39-22 at home this season... The Hot Rods are 14-7 in three-run games...Bowling Green is 5-6 in extra-inning games...BG is 22-16 in the first game of a series... The Hot Rods are 13-39 when outhit by their opponent...The Hot Rods will play the middle game of a three-game series against Dayton on Thursday night, with first pitch at 6:35 p.m. CDT...RHP Miller Hogan (4-3, 3.10) will start for Bowling Green against Dayton RHP Lyon Richardson (2-8, 4.95)...Tomorrow will be another Bootlegger Thursday sponsored by Casey Jones Distillery, featuring $1 and $2 beer specials...Thursday will also feature a canned goods drive benefiting Feeding America, with a donation of two cans at the box office good for a $5 ticket to Thursday's game...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020