'Caps Keep Series Alive
COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. - After a series-opening win on Wednesday, the Loons had set themselves up for two chances to secure their seventh straight road-series victory, but West Michigan delayed those plans with a 5-1 win on Thursday night.
For the second straight night, the Loons struggled to score runs off a Whitecaps starting pitcher. Adam Wolf (W, 4-10) delivered a six-inning, one-run performance after coming in with a season earned run average near seven. Zac Shepherd and Michael Bienlien threw the final three innings of scoreless baseball.
The only run for Great Lakes came across in the second inning on a sac-fly by Matt Cogen that scored Kody Hoese. Chris Roller was the standout performer for the Loons as he finished with three hits including a double.
The West Michigan offense plated a pair in the fifth inning against Zach Willeman aided by two Leonel Valera errors. Willeman (L, 3-5) gave up two more runs in the eighth inning before the 'Caps added another against Joel Inoa.
Great Lakes gets another chance to take the series at Fifth Third Ballpark on Friday. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. EDT. Stephen Kolek (4.35 ERA) gets the ball for John Shoemaker and Chance Kirby counters for West Michigan. Radio pregame coverage begins at 6:35.
Aug 17: Fairy Tale Kingdom Night & FIREWORKS!
Aug 18: Back to School Lunch Box Giveaway
Aug 19: Postgame Veterans Run the Bases
Aug 20: Two-fer Tuesday
Aug 21: Camels Bottle Opener Coaster Giveaway & FIREWORKS!
Aug 22: Lucky Hot Dog & Michigander Night
Aug 23: The Office Night feat. Brian Baumgartner (aka Kevin Malone)
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Great Lakes Loons Stories
- Go Green! Go Blue! Watch Party Coming to Dow Diamond October 31
- Dow vs Midland Football Watch Party Tickets on Sale Friday
- Loons to Host High School Football Watch Parties at Dow Diamond
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled
- Loons Join MiLB's CommUNITY First Campaign