Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener
GRAND CHUTE, WIS. - Yeison Coca's two-out, walk-off single propelled the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers to a 3-2 win Wednesday against the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Wisconsin (28-23, 59-61) also secured a 1-0 advantage in this three-game series.
The Timber Rattlers manufactured the winning run during the bottom of the ninth. Leugim Castillo received a walk to open the final frame. Antonio Pinero sacrificed Castillo to second base, and Je'Von Ward grounded out to push Castillo to third base. Coca batted next and produced an infield single that brought in the winning run.
Cedar Rapids (29-22, 68-53) faced a late 2-0 deficit before scoring in the eighth and ninth innings. Daniel Ozoria broke up the shutout by scoring on Wander Javier's eighth-inning single. Spencer Steer tripled in the ninth prior to Trevor Casanova's sacrifice fly which briefly tied the contest at 2-2.
The Timber Rattlers ended an early scoreless deadlock during the bottom of the fifth. Ward's two-out RBI single drove in Pablo Abreu. Following a walk for Coca, David Fry singled to plate Pinero for a 2-0 lead.
Despite giving up two runs for a blown save, Max Lazar (6-2) also picked up the victory in the series opener. Nate Hadley (1-1) gave up the deciding run and suffered his first professional loss.
Thursday's contest between Cedar Rapids and Wisconsin is slated for 7:05 p.m., and Kernels right-hander Luis Rijo (4-7, 2.84) will pitch against Timber Rattlers right-hander Luis Contreras (1-1, 2.00). Broadcast coverage with Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will be available on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks