Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits
DAVENPORT, IA - The Snappers secured their 4th straight victory over the River Bandits tonight with a 6-2 routing of the Astros affiliate. While Quad Cities is the team with the best Western Division record, the Snappers continue to be a thorn in their side with tonight's win.
Beloit jumped out in front quickly with a pair of 2-out RBI doubles by Designated Hitter Santis Sanchez and First Basemen Nick Ward in the second inning. Second Basemen Joseph Pena would add another run to that total with a single in the 4th to score Skyler Weber.
Reid Birlingmair was originally slotted to piggyback today, as he has done many times this year, but a late decision was made to allow Birlingmair to pitch with the aid of the bullpen instead.
Birlingmair would thrive only allowing 1 hit through 6 innings striking out 9 batters.
Unfortunately, h is 1 hit was a 2-run home run in the 4th to bring the River Bandits within 1 run.
Thankfully, Snappers' sluggers would have their starters back as they would tack on another 3 runs in the next two innings. Nick Osborne in the top of the 5th would drive in a run on an RBI single, and Devin Foyle would drive in 2 runners on his own RBI Single in the 6th.
The Snappers bullpen was then lights-out to finish the contest providing 3 innings of support.
Brandon Withers through 2 of those innings would only allow 1 hit and strike out another 5 batters, while Calvin Coker would finish the game with an inning for himself allowing a hit of his own and striking out 1.
With tonight's win, the Snappers secure at least a season split with the River Bandits, and they Snappers look to secure the series win tomorrow with their 2nd game of their 3 game set in Davenport. The Snappers are set to throw Rafael Kelly tomorrow, who has had great success in the 3 games he's pitched against Quad Cities. He has earned 3 wins through 17 innings of work and only allowed 3 earned runs in those 3 games versus the River Bandits. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 PM CST again at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.