Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win
COMSTOCK PARK, MI - A dominant pitching performance helped propel the West Michigan Whitecaps to a 5-1 victory over the Great Lakes Loons Thursday night in front of 8,395 fans at Fifth Third Ballpark.
Adam Wolf, the Detroit Tigers fifth-round pick in the 2018 draft, had one of his best outings as a Whitecaps starter allowing one run on just four hits with four strikeouts in the win.
Great Lakes struck first as Matt Cogan lifted a sacrifice fly in the second to give the Loons a 1-0 lead. West Michigan forged ahead in the fifth inning as a double-steal tied the game before Parker Meadows roped an RBI-single to give the "Caps their first lead 2-1. The Whitecaps plated three insurance runs in the eighth featuring a two-RBI double off the bat of Jack Kenley to put the finishing touches on a 5-1 Whitecaps victory. Kenley scored later in the frame on a wild pitch, capping just the third victory in 12 games against Great Lakes during the 2019 season. Defensively, West Michigan played flawlessly in one of their most well-rounded victories of the campaign.
Wolf (4-10) tossed six innings allowing one run on four hits and four strikeouts in his fourth win of the year before Zac Shepherd and Michael Bienlien combined for three shutout innings with a pair of strikeouts to close out the victory. Loons starter Ryan Pepiot pitched two innings with no runs, and three strikeouts before Zach Willeman (3-5) gave up three runs through 5.2 innings of work in his fifth loss of 2019. Andre Lipcius made a spectacular backhanded scoop at third before throwing across his body to get the runner at first in a play worthy of being on the SportsCenter Top-10. At the plate, Lipcius chipped in the only multi-hit performance for the "Caps by going 2-for-4.
The Whitecaps finish this three-game series against the Great Lakes Loons from Fifth Third Ballpark Friday night at 7:05 pm. Chance Kirby starts for West Michigan against Loons starter Stephen Kolek. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty and Mike Coleman begins on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:55 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.