Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday
Geneva, IL - The Peoria Chiefs collected 11 hits and handed the first-place Kane County Cougars a 6-3 defeat Wednesday night in the opening game of a three-game series. With a home run, two singles, three runs scored and a RBI, third baseman Imeldo Diaz was the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
Facing Levi Kelly, the #8 Arizona prospect who had never lost as a professional, the Chiefs fell behind 1-0 in the first inning. Brendan Donovan led off the second with a single and Diaz singled with one out. Leandro Cedeno doubled home both runners to put the Chiefs on top 2-1 before Brandon Riley singled to put runners on the corners. Wadye Ynfante's infield single put the Chiefs on top 3-1 and Kelly tied his career high for runs allowed in a game, raising his ERA from 1.96 to 2.19.
Facing reliever Andy Toelken, the Chiefs added on in the sixth. Diaz singled and Cedeno doubled him home for a 4-1 lead. In the seventh Jonatan Machado doubled and moved to third on a groundout. He scored on a sacrifice fly to right by Brady Whalen to put the Chiefs on top 5-1.
Sebastian Tabata escaped a bases loaded jam in the sixth thanks to an interference call against the Cougars. Diaz added to the Chiefs lead in the seventh with a towering 397-foot home run down the left-field line, his second of the season for a 6-1 lead.
Dalton Roach (1-1) picked up the win as he struck out five and allowed one run on four hits over five innings of work. Tabata walked three and allowed one hit over two shutout innings. Tony Locey allowed two runs on three hits while striking out three in his one inning of work. Connor Coward allowed one hit and struck out one in a scoreless ninth to nail down his first Chiefs save.
Game two of the series is Thursday night at 6:30. The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:15 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.TV for subscribers.
Peoria returns home for a seven-game homestand starting with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Saturday, August 17. Individual game tickets, group tickets and season ticket packages, including full-season, a 35-game ticket package, an 18-game ticket package or a Flex Plan are currently on sale by calling 309-680-4000. Individual game tickets are also on sale with the Dozer Park Box Office open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and online at www.peoriachiefs.com which also lists all of the season's promotions. Game times and promotions are subject to change.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff