Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2
Davenport, IA - The Quad Cities River Bandits worked four walks in the bottom of the seventh inning and turned them into their only offense of the night in a 3-2 victory over the Beloit Snappers on Thursday night. Beloit led 2-0 entering the decisive frame despite finishing with just two hits in the game.
Quad Cities (29-23, 72-46) struggled once again against Beloit starter Rafael Kelly. The right-hander entered the night 3-0 with a 1.59 ERA in three previous meetings with the Bandits. This time, he worked 5.2 scoreless innings and recorded a career-high nine strikeouts.
Beloit (23-29, 50-70) appeared to be in good position to hand Kelly another victory after scoring early against Jose Rivera. In the top of the third, Santis Sanchez was hit by a pitch to open the frame and then scored on Nick Ward's line drive triple into the right field corner. Joseph Pena followed immediately with a sacrifice fly that gave the Snappers a 2-0 advantage. Rivera allowed only one hit in 4.0 innings and struck out five.
Up until the seventh inning, the Bandits were able to put men on base, but could not drive them in. That changed against reliever Chase Cohen who walked the first three batters to load the bases. The right-hander struck out AJ Lee for the first out of the inning, but Wilyer Abreu dropped a base hit in shallow center field to cut the deficit to 2-1. Grae Kessinger won a long battle to work another walk and force in the tying run. Beloit went to lefty Josh Reagan with the bases still fullof River Bandits and Oscar Campos coming up. The designated hitter swung at the first pitch and hit a sacrifice fly to center field that scored Ramiro Rodriguez and put the Bandits in front 3-2. Cohen took the loss after allowing three runs in 0.2 innings.
The Quad Cities lead was safe for the remainder of the ballgame thanks to the efforts of Matt Ruppenthal. Coming on in the top of the fifth, Ruppenthal pitched the final 5.0 innings without allowing a run, surrendering just one hit and striking out seven. He earned his fourth win of the season as a reward for his efforts.
Campos paced all hitters with a 3-3 day at the plate that included a double and an RBI. His hitting streak was extended to eight games. The only other player with multiple hits was Abreu, who finished 2-4 with an RBI.
The rubber match of the series will be held on Friday evening at 6:35 p.m. RHP R.J. Freure (5-4, 3.71) will work on the mound for the River Bandits. Beloit will hand the ball to RHP Angello Infante (2-7, 3.72). There will be an S.J. Smith River Bandits t-shirt giveaway and fireworks following the game presented by Smart Toyota of the Quad Cities.
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Movies at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits and Genesis Team up on COVID-19 T-Shirt
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park