Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1
Bowling Green, KY - Miller Hogan threw 7.0 innings of one-run ball and Ford Proctor launched a two-run homer to lead the Bowling Green Bootleggers to a 5-1 victory over the Dayton Dragons. Bowling Green improves to 70-52, 31-21 in the second half, ahead of the series finale on Friday night, which will feature the first pitch at 6:35 p.m.
For the first two innings, Hogan and Dayton starter Lyon Richardson traded zeroes, with Richardson setting down the first eight Bootleggers. Hogan allowed two hits in the third, but Ruben Cardenas threw out Claudio Finol at third to end the inning.
In the bottom of the inning, the Bootleggers strung together a two-out rally against Richardson. After Osmy Gregorio singled with two outs, Proctor turned around a 2-0 delivery from Richardson and lined it off the right-field scoreboard for a two-run homer, giving Bowling Green a 2-0 lead.
An inning later, Juan Martinez struck off Hogan, lining a solo homer just over the left-field wall, cutting the Bowling Green lead in half. In the fifth, the Dragons threatened once more as Miguel Hernandez and Miles Gordon singled to begin the inning, but Hogan struck out the next two batters, sandwiched around a caught stealing by Hernandez to end the inning.
In the sixth, the Bootleggers extended the lead against Dayton reliever Carlos Machorro. Proctor began the inning by drawing an 11-pitch walk, then moved to third when Seaver Whalen laid down a bunt single and moved to second on a throwing error. Jonathan Aranda then lined a full-count delivery through a drawn-in infield, driving home both runners. Jordan Qsar capped off the inning by lining a double to center, scoring Aranda all the way from first, giving Bowling Green a 5-1 lead.
Meanwhile, Hogan got better as the game went on, setting down the final eight hitters he faced, finishing 7.0 innings for the first time in his career. Michael Costanzo came out of the Bowling Green bullpen and held the Dragons off the board over the final two innings, securing a 5-1 win to even the series.
Hogan (5-3) threw 7.0 innings, allowing a run on five hits, while striking out five without walking a hitter in earning his fifth win. Costanzo tossed the final two frames, allowing a hit and striking out three without allowing a run.
Notes: Aranda has a seven-game hitting streak...He also has five multi-RBI games...Alvarez has 28 multi-hit contests...Proctor homered for the second time in six days...He collected his eighth multi-RBI affair...Hogan worked career-high 7.0 innings ...He also earned his third-straight win, a career-high...BG is 8-4 all-time as the Bootleggers, 4-4 this season...The Bootleggers are 49-32 when scoring first...Bowling Green starters are 44-26 this season...BG is 40-22 at home this season...The Bootleggers are 10-5 when recording the same number of hits as their opponent...The Hot Rods will finish the series and homestand against Dayton on Friday night, with first pitch at 6:35 p.m. CDT...RHP Alan Strong (8-4, 3.06) will start for Bowling Green against Dayton LHP Connor Curlis (4-4, 2.47)...It will be a Fireworks Friday sponsored by Norton Children's Hospital...Additionally, Friday night is 9 Innings of Winning, where fans can go home with bobbleheads, game-worn jerseys, and many other great prizes...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Winning Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Patience Pays off as Bandits Slip by Snappers 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wolf Wills Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Walk-Off Cubs 2-1 in 10th Inning - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Can't Save Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Clinch Series Over Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Naylor Provides All the Offense, Including Walk-Off - Lake County Captains
- Lopez's Streak Continues, Lugnuts' Streak Ends in 12-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Trounce Lugnuts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 3-Run 7th Inning Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Rijo, Solo Shots Highlight 2-1 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Proctor Homers, Hogan Deals as Bootleggers Beat Dragons 5-1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilson's Homer Hands Cougars Series Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Even Series with 5-1 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Keep Series Alive - Great Lakes Loons
- Espada Reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 15 at Lansing (Game 120) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- INF AJ Lee transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Thursday, August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Ballpark Preps for Latest Concert - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedeno Bops Chiefs Past Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Osborne Homers, LumberKings Snap Home Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Hold on to Win Four Hour Marathon, 4-1 in 12 Innings at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Sneak Away with Extra-Inning Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Coca's RBI Single in Ninth Gets Wisconsin Past Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Drop Series Opener to Cubs - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Beat First Place Cougars Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Talley Triple Keys 5-3 Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Secure Season Split After Rocking River Bandits - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Wither in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall 4-1 to Dragons in 12-Inning Duel - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Wins Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Takes First Game of Series 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020