Timbers to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal on August 7
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers will face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field in the semifinal round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, Aug. 7, it was determined earlier today as U.S. Soccer conducted a draw to determine host teams for the two semifinal matches and hosting priority for the final. The Timbers' third away match of their 2019 U.S. Open Cup campaign will begin at 5 p.m. (Pacific), and will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
The Timbers advanced to this year's semifinal round of the tournament with a 1-0 shutout victory over Los Angeles FC in their quarterfinal matchup Wednesday night at Banc of California Stadium, with Jeremy Ebobisse scoring the game-winner in the 84th minute. With the win, the Timbers advanced to the semifinals for the second time in club history (2013, 2019) and improved to 10-3-1 - including seven road wins - over their last 14 matches across all competitions, including shutouts in five of their last six games. Since 2013, Portland has 10 victories over MLS teams in U.S. Open Cup play, which is tied for the most of any team in that timespan.
Minnesota advanced to its first-ever U.S. Open Cup semifinal after defeating USL side New Mexico United 6-1 at Allianz Field in the quarterfinal round Wednesday night. Angelo Rodriguez tallied a hat trick, while Darwin Quintero, Jan Gregus and Miguel Ibarra each added one goal in the win for United.
The Aug. 7 match will be the second meeting in four days between Portland and Minnesota at Allianz Field, and will mark the first time the two teams meet in the U.S. Open Cup. The two sides will meet in league play on Sunday, Aug. 4, at Allianz Field, and will play one more league match during the regular season on Sunday, Sept. 22, at Providence Park.
Also resulting from Thursday's draw by U.S. Soccer, it was determined that Orlando City SC will play host to Atlanta United FC in the other semifinal matchup. Immediately after the semifinal hosts were confirmed, the draw to determine the hosting priority for the 2019 U.S. Open Cup final was held. Atlanta has first priority to host the final on Aug. 27 or 28 should it advance. Second priority went to Minnesota, followed by Orlando City and Portland, which will not be eligible to host the final.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 11, 2019
- Orlando City to Host Atlanta in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Encourages Giving Back with RAVE Foundation-Themed Match this Sunday - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Honor FIFA World Cup Winner Alex Morgan Friday During Match vs. San Jose Earthquakes - LA Galaxy
- Atlanta United to Play at Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal on August 7 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Forward Will Bruin Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Create Safe-Standing Supporters' Section at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo sign defender Jose Bizama from Chilean club Huachipato FC - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Sign Captain Kendall Waston to a Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- Leagues Cup Final to be Played in the City of Las Vegas - MLS
- Timbers to Visit Hood River for Eighth-Annual Rose City Road Trip Presented by Providence Health & Services - Portland Timbers
- "Party at the Pitch" Planned Ahead of Thursday's White Out Game - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC to Host Portland Timbers in Semifinals of US Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC to Hold Open Tryouts for 2020 Inaugural MLS Season - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Boys U-19 Academy Win National Championship for Second Consecutive Season - New York City FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Patrick Mullins from Columbus Crew SC - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Jordan Hamilton and Assets in Trade with Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money in Trade with Orlando City SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires Midfielder Robinho from Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Defeat Los Angeles FC 1-0, Advance to Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 -1 New York City FC: Orlando Advances on Penalties - New York City FC
- LAFC Falls to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Quarterfinals of 2019 U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Crepeau provides late heroics to set up decisive leg at BC Place on July 24 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Open Preseason Tournament with 2-1 Win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Statement on the Passing of Jimmy Conway
- Timbers Announce Broadcast Details for 2020 Season