Columbus Crew SC Hires Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that it has hired veteran business leader Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer of Crew SC. Lyons most recently served as Executive Vice President and Chief Counsel of the Columbus Partnership, the renowned civic alliance of the 75 CEOs of Columbus' leading companies and institutions. Set to oversee Crew SC's revenue generating departments as well as marketing and stadium operations, Lyons transitions to his new role with Crew SC on Monday, August 5.
"We are thrilled to announce Steve Lyons will be joining Columbus Crew SC as he helps usher in a new era for the Club," said Crew SC Investor-Operators Dee Haslam and Pete Edwards. "Steve's business acumen and law pedigree, coupled with his valuable expertise in the Columbus community, are incredible assets as we look to grow this organization. Steve has shined in his career, most recently playing a critical role in the efforts to save this Club. Steve worked tirelessly alongside Columbus Partnership President and CEO Alex Fischer to create opportunities and solutions for this MLS charter member to remain in Columbus and we certainly look forward to having him on board."
Lyons was recruited in 2010 to the Columbus Partnership as Vice President for Member & Community Engagement, charged with repositioning the Partnership and working closely with its member companies on issues that impact the Columbus. Lyons oversaw the daily operations and resource development of the organization and drove its strategic business portfolio. Reporting directly to the president & CEO and serving the 75-member board of directors, he was responsible for identifying emerging opportunities and challenges in the region. Lyons built key internal and external partnerships with public and private sector organizations to ensure alignment in addressing issues of mutual concern. In addition, he oversaw the organization's external affairs and community engagement strategies to ensure the Partnership is positioned as a philanthropic, community and economic development leader, and to raise its profile and impact among key audiences within the community and throughout the country.
Prior to joining the Partnership, Lyons led the marketing, sales and community affairs at HNS Sports Group, which provides turn-key tournament operations for a variety of events, including the prestigious Memorial Tournament. In this role, he oversaw the sales and marketing and sponsorship portfolio, including the company's philanthropic programming and community impact initiatives.
"We want to welcome Steve to Columbus Crew SC as we know he can help enhance our culture and drive key business objectives," said Crew SC President and General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "With Steve at the Club, we're confident that we can continue to connect with the Columbus business community, provide a first-class supporter experience and grow our reach to become a pace-setter as a premier North American team. We look forward to Steve's contributions to Crew SC and believe he will make an immediate impact upon his arrival."
An active community and volunteer leader, Lyons is involved with numerous business, civic and nonprofit organizations. He serves on the boards of Experience Columbus, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio, Inc. and as a Trustee of Capital University.
"I am extremely proud to have been a part of all that the Columbus Partnership has accomplished during the past nine years and to have worked alongside the incredible leadership that has moved our community forward," said Steve Lyons. "Now, I am thrilled to join Columbus Crew SC and the Edwards and Haslam Families at such an exciting time. I look forward to continuing what we've started and building a world-class soccer club in Columbus."
Lyons earned a bachelor's degree in corporate communications from Elon University in Elon, North Carolina, and a Juris Doctor from Capital University Law School in Columbus, Ohio.
Up next for the Crew is a road contest against Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium on Saturday, July 13 [7:30 p.m. ET / FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO (Stream) / 97.1 The Fan & 971TheFan.com (English); ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 11, 2019
- Orlando City to Host Atlanta in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Encourages Giving Back with RAVE Foundation-Themed Match this Sunday - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Honor FIFA World Cup Winner Alex Morgan Friday During Match vs. San Jose Earthquakes - LA Galaxy
- Atlanta United to Play at Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal on August 7 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Forward Will Bruin Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Create Safe-Standing Supporters' Section at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo sign defender Jose Bizama from Chilean club Huachipato FC - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Sign Captain Kendall Waston to a Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- Leagues Cup Final to be Played in the City of Las Vegas - MLS
- Timbers to Visit Hood River for Eighth-Annual Rose City Road Trip Presented by Providence Health & Services - Portland Timbers
- "Party at the Pitch" Planned Ahead of Thursday's White Out Game - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC to Host Portland Timbers in Semifinals of US Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC to Hold Open Tryouts for 2020 Inaugural MLS Season - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Boys U-19 Academy Win National Championship for Second Consecutive Season - New York City FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Patrick Mullins from Columbus Crew SC - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Jordan Hamilton and Assets in Trade with Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money in Trade with Orlando City SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires Midfielder Robinho from Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Defeat Los Angeles FC 1-0, Advance to Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 -1 New York City FC: Orlando Advances on Penalties - New York City FC
- LAFC Falls to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Quarterfinals of 2019 U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Crepeau provides late heroics to set up decisive leg at BC Place on July 24 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Crew SC Academy Product Sebastian Berhalter
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Crew SC Academy Product Aidan Morris
- Columbus Crew SC Selects Ryo Shimazaki in Round 3 of 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Columbus Crew SC Selects Three Players in Opening Rounds of 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Columbus Crew SC's Gyasi Zardes Receives An International Call-Up