Orlando City to Host Atlanta in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC will continue its pursuit of the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup trophy when it hosts Atlanta United FC in the Semifinal round of the nation's oldest cup competition. The match will take place on Tuesday, August 6, with kickoff set for 7:30 p.m. ET at Exploria Stadium and will be available to stream live on ESPN+.
The matchup will serve as the first appearance in the Semifinals for both Clubs, with the Lions' previous best finish coming in the Quarterfinals in 2012 as a USL Pro franchise and in 2015 and 2018 in the MLS era. Prior to this year, Atlanta had bowed out of the U.S. Open Cup in the Round of 16 in each of their previous two appearances.
The Lions enter the Semifinal round following a victory via a penalty shootout against 2015 expansion rivals New York City FC in the Quarterfinals. The two sides battled to a 1-1 deadlock after regulation, with Chris Mueller scoring for the Lions in the 61st minute and Maxi Moralez leveling the two sides late in the sixth minute of stoppage time to force the match into extra time. After a scoreless extra time period, the two were forced into a penalty shootout. Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis recorded two saves in the shootout, including the game-winner in the sixth round off of Maxime Chanot's strike to the left side to send the Lions through to the Semifinal round.
Atlanta defeated USL Championship side Saint Louis FC 2-0 in the Quarterfinal round to advance to the last four of this year's edition of the Open Cup. After a scoreless first half, the Five Stripes broke through thanks to finishes from Pity Martinez and Josef Martinez in the 52nd and 95th minutes respectively to punch their ticket to the Semifinals.
A win on August 6 would advance City to the U.S. Open Cup Final, where it would face the winner of the Western Semifinal matchup of Minnesota United and the Portland Timbers. If the Timbers were to win that match, the Lions would host the U.S. Open Cup Final at Exploria Stadium. If the Loons were to prevail, City would have to travel to Allianz Field due to the results of an open draw that determined priority seeding for hosting the final.
2019 marks the 106th edition of the U.S. Soccer Lamar Hunt Open Cup, the country's oldest cup competition and U.S. Soccer's National Championship. The 2019 U.S. Open Cup winner will earn $300,000 in prize money, a berth in the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League and have its name engraved on the Dewar Challenge Trophy - one of the oldest nationally-contested trophies in American team sports - now on display at the National Soccer Hall of Fame in Frisco, Texas. The runner-up will earn $100,000, while the team that advances the furthest from each lower division will take home a $25,000 cash prize.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 11, 2019
- Orlando City to Host Atlanta in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Encourages Giving Back with RAVE Foundation-Themed Match this Sunday - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Honor FIFA World Cup Winner Alex Morgan Friday During Match vs. San Jose Earthquakes - LA Galaxy
- Atlanta United to Play at Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal on August 7 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Forward Will Bruin Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Create Safe-Standing Supporters' Section at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo sign defender Jose Bizama from Chilean club Huachipato FC - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Sign Captain Kendall Waston to a Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- Leagues Cup Final to be Played in the City of Las Vegas - MLS
- Timbers to Visit Hood River for Eighth-Annual Rose City Road Trip Presented by Providence Health & Services - Portland Timbers
- "Party at the Pitch" Planned Ahead of Thursday's White Out Game - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC to Host Portland Timbers in Semifinals of US Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC to Hold Open Tryouts for 2020 Inaugural MLS Season - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Boys U-19 Academy Win National Championship for Second Consecutive Season - New York City FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Patrick Mullins from Columbus Crew SC - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Jordan Hamilton and Assets in Trade with Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money in Trade with Orlando City SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires Midfielder Robinho from Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Defeat Los Angeles FC 1-0, Advance to Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 -1 New York City FC: Orlando Advances on Penalties - New York City FC
- LAFC Falls to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Quarterfinals of 2019 U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Crepeau provides late heroics to set up decisive leg at BC Place on July 24 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium
- Four City Homegrowns Join CF Pachuca for Offseason Training Stint
- MLS SuperDraft Look Back
- Orlando City SC Signs Defender Robin Jansson to New Contract
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters