FC Cincinnati Sign Captain Kendall Waston to a Contract Extension
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati have signed center back and captain Kendall Waston to a contract extension. The two-time MLS Best XI selection (2015, 2017) joined the Orange and Blue prior to the start of the 2019 MLS season and has been a fixture on FC Cincinnati's backline. The Costa Rican was named the club's first-ever MLS captain in February.
"We are pleased that Kendall will remain an FC Cincinnati player for the foreseeable future," FC Cincinnati General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. "He is a true professional who leads by example on and off the pitch and is committed to what we are building at FC Cincinnati."
"I'm really excited to sign a contract extension with FC Cincinnati," Waston said. "From December, I was really looking forward to joining the club and I'm looking forward to staying here. I'm really happy."
Waston has made 13 appearances, all starts, and has scored one goal during the course of the 2019 MLS season. The captain made history when he became the first player to score an MLS goal in Cincinnati when the Orange and Blue defeated the Portland Timbers, 3-0, at Nippert Stadium on March 17.
Prior to joining FC Cincinnati, Waston played for Vancouver Whitecaps FC for five seasons (2014-18), where he made 115 regular-season appearances, scored 14 goals, added four assists and logged over 10,000 minutes on the pitch. The Limón, Costa Rica, native served as Vancouver's captain for the 2017 and 2018 MLS campaigns.
Since making his international debut in 2013, Waston has 36 career caps with the Costa Rica national team. The defender has tallied six goals and added one assist for the Ticos. Waston made his World Cup debut at the 2018 FIFA World Cup and scored Costa Rica's first goal of the tournament in their group stage match against Switzerland on June 27, 2018. Most recently, Waston made three appearances for Costa Rica at the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup.
FC Cincinnati next travel to face the Chicago Fire on Saturday, July 13. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET, and the game will be televised on WSTR 64, carried on the radio on WDJO (99.5 FM, 107.9 FM and 1480 AM), streamed regionally on FloFC, out of market on ESPN+, while an audio stream will be available at TuneIn (WDJO) and fccincinnati.com.
After Saturday's game, FCC will host a "White Out" game against D.C. United in nationally televised contest at Nippert Stadium at 8 p.m. on Thursday, July 18. All tickets for the game are on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets or by calling 513-977-5425 (KICK). Pick Six mini plans, individual-game tickets and group options are on sale for all remaining games.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 11, 2019
- Orlando City to Host Atlanta in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Encourages Giving Back with RAVE Foundation-Themed Match this Sunday - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Honor FIFA World Cup Winner Alex Morgan Friday During Match vs. San Jose Earthquakes - LA Galaxy
- Atlanta United to Play at Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal on August 7 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Forward Will Bruin Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Create Safe-Standing Supporters' Section at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo sign defender Jose Bizama from Chilean club Huachipato FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Captain Kendall Waston to a Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- Leagues Cup Final to be Played in the City of Las Vegas - MLS
- Timbers to Visit Hood River for Eighth-Annual Rose City Road Trip Presented by Providence Health & Services - Portland Timbers
- "Party at the Pitch" Planned Ahead of Thursday's White Out Game - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC to Host Portland Timbers in Semifinals of US Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC to Hold Open Tryouts for 2020 Inaugural MLS Season - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Boys U-19 Academy Win National Championship for Second Consecutive Season - New York City FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Patrick Mullins from Columbus Crew SC - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Jordan Hamilton and Assets in Trade with Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money in Trade with Orlando City SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires Midfielder Robinho from Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Defeat Los Angeles FC 1-0, Advance to Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 -1 New York City FC: Orlando Advances on Penalties - New York City FC
- LAFC Falls to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Quarterfinals of 2019 U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Crepeau provides late heroics to set up decisive leg at BC Place on July 24 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.