Orlando City SC Acquires Midfielder Robinho from Columbus Crew
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC has announced the acquisition of Brazilian 24-year-old midfielder Francisco Wellington Barbosa de Lisboa, "Robinho" (pronounced: roh-BEAN-yo), from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for $50,000 in Targeted Allocation Money (TAM).
Robinho has made 19 regular-season appearances, with 13 starts in 2019 MLS regular-season competition with Columbus. Robinho appeared in two Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup matches for Columbus, starting in a win over Pittsburgh, while coming off the bench in the Round of 16 contest against Atlanta United.
"We are extremely excited to welcome Robinho to Orlando City. He is a player that is extremely energetic on the pitch and has the ability to create opportunities for players around him," Orlando City SC EVP of Soccer Operations Luiz Muzzi said. "As we make our push for the playoffs this summer we feel as though Robinho is a great addition to our roster."
Before joining MLS, the Brazilian midfielder played for Ceara SC of Brazil's First Division in the second half of the 2018 campaign. Prior to appearing in Brazil's First Division, Robinho competed for Santa Cruz Futebol Clube of Brazil's Third Division.
While at Santa Cruz, Robinho made 37 appearances across all competitions, scoring eight goals. In addition to making 18 appearances in league play, Robinho also made 11 appearances, all starts, in the Campeonato Pernambucano, one appearance in the Copa do Brasil and eight appearances in the Copa do Nordeste.
Robinho began his career with Itapipoca Esporte Clube, where he made nine appearances. From 2014-2018, Robinho made 37 appearances for Ceara Sporting Club, while also featuring for other clubs. In total, Robinho has made 119 appearances across all competitions in Brazil.
TRANSACTION: Orlando City acquires midfielder Robinho (roh-BEAN-yo) from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for $50,000 of Targeted Allocation Money.
Name: Robinho (roh-BEAN-yo)
Weight: 148 lbs.
Birth Date: January 18, 1995
Birthplace: Senador Pompeu, Brazil
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 11, 2019
- Orlando City to Host Atlanta in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Encourages Giving Back with RAVE Foundation-Themed Match this Sunday - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Honor FIFA World Cup Winner Alex Morgan Friday During Match vs. San Jose Earthquakes - LA Galaxy
- Atlanta United to Play at Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal on August 7 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Forward Will Bruin Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Create Safe-Standing Supporters' Section at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo sign defender Jose Bizama from Chilean club Huachipato FC - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Sign Captain Kendall Waston to a Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- Leagues Cup Final to be Played in the City of Las Vegas - MLS
- Timbers to Visit Hood River for Eighth-Annual Rose City Road Trip Presented by Providence Health & Services - Portland Timbers
- "Party at the Pitch" Planned Ahead of Thursday's White Out Game - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC to Host Portland Timbers in Semifinals of US Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC to Hold Open Tryouts for 2020 Inaugural MLS Season - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Boys U-19 Academy Win National Championship for Second Consecutive Season - New York City FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Patrick Mullins from Columbus Crew SC - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Jordan Hamilton and Assets in Trade with Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money in Trade with Orlando City SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires Midfielder Robinho from Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Defeat Los Angeles FC 1-0, Advance to Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 -1 New York City FC: Orlando Advances on Penalties - New York City FC
- LAFC Falls to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Quarterfinals of 2019 U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Crepeau provides late heroics to set up decisive leg at BC Place on July 24 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- City Unveils 2021 Thick N Thin Home Kit Pres. by Orlando Health
- Pareja Flush with Forwards as Camp Begins
- Orlando City SC Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule
- Michel and Perea Called up to U-23 USMNT Training Camp
- Canada Soccer's Men's National Team to Commence FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Qualifiers in Orlando