New York City FC Boys U-19 Academy Win National Championship for Second Consecutive Season
New York, NY - New York City FC's Boys U-19 Academy team defeated FC Dallas 2-1 yesterday evening to win the 2019 U.S. Soccer Development Academy Championship (DA).
NYCFC becomes the first Club to win back-to-back U-19 titles in the competition's history. Last season the Club defeated LA Galaxy on penalties to win the first of two DA trophies.
The semifinals and finals were held at Championship Soccer Stadium in Orange County Great Park in Irvine, CA. NYCFC defeated Sockers FC in the semifinal round to set up their triumph against FC Dallas.
Sporting Director Claudio Reyna said: "Winning back-to-back championships in the DA is a reward for doing things the right way throughout our Academy. We've built a culture around developing strong human values and it continues to play a big role in setting a standard of excellence on and off the field.
"This achievement cannot be underestimated. We're still a young Academy that has only been fully built out for three years and to have won two titles in the U-19 age group, in only our second year of playing in it, is an amazing success story.
"Everyone at the Club sends congratulations to all the players, coaches and support staff including the analysts, administration, medical and performance teams for the high standards they've help create."
The 2019 DA Championship is the third major trophy for NYCFC's Boys Academy. In 2017, several of the same players lifted the Generation adidas Cup after beating Mexican side Tigres 1-0.
The title caps an excellent season for the squad who also advanced to the championship match at the 2019 Dallas Cup before narrowly falling to Spanish club Villareal in April.
This age group was the first to fully come through the Club's Academy since joining the NYCFC ranks as U-14s.
The cycle has produced three Homegrown players-James Sands, Joe Scally and Justin Haak-and numerous others have gone on or are scheduled to play at major Division 1 colleges.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 11, 2019
- Orlando City to Host Atlanta in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Encourages Giving Back with RAVE Foundation-Themed Match this Sunday - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Honor FIFA World Cup Winner Alex Morgan Friday During Match vs. San Jose Earthquakes - LA Galaxy
- Atlanta United to Play at Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal on August 7 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Forward Will Bruin Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Create Safe-Standing Supporters' Section at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo sign defender Jose Bizama from Chilean club Huachipato FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Captain Kendall Waston to a Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- Leagues Cup Final to be Played in the City of Las Vegas - MLS
- Timbers to Visit Hood River for Eighth-Annual Rose City Road Trip Presented by Providence Health & Services - Portland Timbers
- "Party at the Pitch" Planned Ahead of Thursday's White Out Game - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC to Host Portland Timbers in Semifinals of US Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC to Hold Open Tryouts for 2020 Inaugural MLS Season - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Boys U-19 Academy Win National Championship for Second Consecutive Season - New York City FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Patrick Mullins from Columbus Crew SC - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Jordan Hamilton and Assets in Trade with Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money in Trade with Orlando City SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires Midfielder Robinho from Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Defeat Los Angeles FC 1-0, Advance to Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 -1 New York City FC: Orlando Advances on Penalties - New York City FC
- LAFC Falls to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Quarterfinals of 2019 U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Crepeau provides late heroics to set up decisive leg at BC Place on July 24 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 3 New England Revolution
- New Mini-Soccer Pitch Opens at Harlem's Colonel Charles Young Playground
- NYCFC Named Finalist for ESPN Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year Award for the Fourth Time in Club History
- New York City FC announces Juneteenth Match Day Programming and Continues Progress with 'Starting XI' Diversity & Inclusion Commitments
- New York City FC Signs Attacking Midfielder Santiago Rodriguez on Loan from Montevideo City Torque