Timbers Defeat Los Angeles FC 1-0, Advance to Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinals
LOS ANGELES - Behind a game-winning goal from Jeremy Ebobisse in the 84th minute, the Portland Timbers earned a 1-0 shutout victory over Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium in the quarterfinal round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday night, advancing to the semifinals for the second time in team history.
U.S. Open Cup history
With the win, the Timbers advanced to the semifinal round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup for the second time in club history (2013, 2019). In three Open Cup matches since June 12, the Timbers registered two shutouts, outscoring their opponents 7-1 across their three victories. The Timbers will square off against Minnesota United FC in the semifinal round of the Open Cup on Wednesday, Aug. 7, with the host site and kickoff time to be determined Thursday morning at 11 a.m. (Pacific) during a draw conducted by U.S. Soccer.
Portland against Los Angeles FC
Portland handed LAFC its first loss at Banc of California Stadium (9-1-1) across all competitions in 2019. Additionally, the loss marked Los Angeles' third defeat at home (21-3-8) in 32 matches played across all competitions (regular season, playoffs and U.S. Open Cup) dating back the beginning of the 2018 MLS regular-season.
Since beginning U.S. Open Cup competition on June 12, the Timbers have earned six wins in their last seven matches across all competitions, holding a 6-1-0 record and outscoring their opponents 14-3 during that span. Additionally, Portland earned its fifth shutout in six matches across all competitions dating back to a 4-0 win against the LA Galaxy in the Round of 16 of the Open Cup on June 19. With the win, Portland improved to 10-3-1 over its last 14 games across all competitions.
With the win, the Timbers earned their seventh victory on the road in 2019 across all competitions. Portland has won five road contents in league play, while picking up two wins on the road in Open Cup competition. The seven road wins across all competitions ranks first amongst all clubs in MLS this season. Additionally, in their last 10 road matches across all competitions, the Timbers hold a record of 7-2-1.
In the eighth minute, a loose ball fell to Jorge Moreira, who was rushing towards the top of the box, but his volleyed shot was fired over the crossbar.
Picking up the ball from just inside his own half, Cristhian Paredes drove past his marker towards the edge of the penalty area and fired a shot that forced LAFC goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega into a save in the 30th minute. On Marvin Loría's ensuing corner kick, the ball fell to the feet of Larrys Mabiala just outside the six-yard box, but his shot was parried aside by Sisniega. In the 32nd minute, Loría's corner-kick delivery found Mabiala, whose powered header from the center of the box was pushed past the post by Sisniega.
Continuing on the attack, Loría was released into space by Sebastián Blanco down the right wing, carrying the ball down the side of the box, cutting onto his left foot before curling his shot just inches past the far post in the 36th minute.
Just before halftime, a counter-attacking play developed down the left flank with the ball eventually falling to Blanco, whose volleyed shot from outside the left edge of the 18-yard box was caught by Sisniega.
Forcing a turnover just outside the Timbers' 18-yard box, Moreira sprung a quick, counter-attacking play with Blanco finding Fernandez inside the center of the penalty area, but his shot towards the lower-left corner of the net was blocked by defender Jordan Harvey in the 72nd minute. One minute later, Loría cut a pass in behind the LAFC backline inside the penalty area to Blanco, whose shot from close range was saved by Sisniega.
Portland scored the game-winning goal in the 84th when Ebobisse was first to a loose ball down the right side of the penalty area and fired his off-balance shot into the far corner of the net, past the outstretched arm of Sisniega.
In the 86th minute, Timbers goalkeeper Steve Clark made a key stop at his near post to deny LAFC forward Adama Diomande from close range. In second-half stoppage time, Zarek Valentin blocked Carlos Vela's bicycle-kick attempt from just outside the six-yard box.
The Portland Timbers have qualified for the semifinals of the U.S. Open Cup for the second time in club history (2013, 2019).
Since 2013, Portland has 10 victories over MLS teams in U.S. Open Cup play. The 10 wins are tied for the most in that timespan, along with Sporting Kansas City.
The match was the 33rd U.S. Open Cup game in club history.
In their last 14 matches in all competitions, the Timbers are 10-3-1 with seven road wins, all against MLS competition.
Portland handed Los Angeles FC their first loss at Banc of California Stadium (9-1-1) across all competitions in 2019, and only their third loss at home (21-3-8) in 32 matches played across all competitions (regular season, playoffs and U.S. Open Cup) dating back the beginning of the 2018 season.
Jeremy Ebobisse scored his sixth goal across all competitions in 2019. Ebobisse has scored two goals in U.S. Open Cup play this season, while tallying four goals in MLS competition.
Marvin Loría played in U.S. Open Cup competition for the first time in 2019.
The Timbers have five shutouts in their last six matches across all competitions, dating back to June 12.
Goalkeeper Steve Clark has not conceded a goal in his last 492 minutes of play.
Facing a quick turnaround, the Timbers return to league play to play host to the Colorado Rapids at Providence Park on Saturday, June 30. Beginning at 8 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers vs. Los Angeles FC (Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup)
July 10, 2019 - Banc of California Stadium (Los Angeles)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 0 1 1
Los Angeles FC 0 0 0
POR: Ebobisse, 84
POR: Blanco (caution), 34
LAFC: Segura (caution), 62
POR: Mabiala (caution), 66
POR: Moreira (caution), 68
LAFC: Diomande (caution), 70
POR: GK Clark, D Moreira, D Mabiala, D Cascante, D Valentin, M Paredes, M Chara ©, M Loría (Valeri, 74), M Blanco (Flores, 90+2), M Ebobisse (Asprilla, 85), F Fernandez
Substitutes Not Used: GK McIntosh, D Dielna, D Farfan, M Conechny
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (Four players tied, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Mabiala, 2); FOULS: 21 (Mabiala, Valeri 3); OFFSIDES:2; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 1
LAFC: GK Sisniega, D Beitashour (Blackmon, 78), D Zimmerman, D Segura, D Harvey (El-Munir, 87), M Kaye, M Atuesta, M Blessing, F Vela ©, F Ramirez (Diomande, 64), F Rossi
Substitutes Not Used: GK Miller, M Pérez, M Nguyen, F Zelaya
TOTAL SHOTS: 13 (Kaye, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 1 (Diomande, 1); FOULS: 10 (Atuesta, 3); OFFSIDES:2; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 4
Referee: Alan Kelly
Assistant Referees: Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein, Diego Blas
4th Official: Michael Radchuk
Weather: Clear, 71 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 11, 2019
- Orlando City to Host Atlanta in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Encourages Giving Back with RAVE Foundation-Themed Match this Sunday - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Honor FIFA World Cup Winner Alex Morgan Friday During Match vs. San Jose Earthquakes - LA Galaxy
- Atlanta United to Play at Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal on August 7 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Forward Will Bruin Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Create Safe-Standing Supporters' Section at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo sign defender Jose Bizama from Chilean club Huachipato FC - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Sign Captain Kendall Waston to a Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- Leagues Cup Final to be Played in the City of Las Vegas - MLS
- Timbers to Visit Hood River for Eighth-Annual Rose City Road Trip Presented by Providence Health & Services - Portland Timbers
- "Party at the Pitch" Planned Ahead of Thursday's White Out Game - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC to Host Portland Timbers in Semifinals of US Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC to Hold Open Tryouts for 2020 Inaugural MLS Season - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Boys U-19 Academy Win National Championship for Second Consecutive Season - New York City FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Patrick Mullins from Columbus Crew SC - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Jordan Hamilton and Assets in Trade with Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money in Trade with Orlando City SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires Midfielder Robinho from Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Defeat Los Angeles FC 1-0, Advance to Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 -1 New York City FC: Orlando Advances on Penalties - New York City FC
- LAFC Falls to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Quarterfinals of 2019 U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Crepeau provides late heroics to set up decisive leg at BC Place on July 24 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- NWSL Announces 2021 Allocated Players List
- Timbers Unveil 2021 Primary Jersey
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Multi-Year Partnership with TikTok
- Timbers Kick off 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 Play on April 6
- Marvin Loria Called up by Costa Rica for Pre-Olympic CONCACAF Qualifying Camp