Third Period Lead Slips Away in 4-3 P-Bruins OT Loss
Bridgeport, CT - The Providence Bruins fell in overtime to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Friday night at the Webster Bank Arena 4-3 in Jordan Szwarz's first game as team captain. The P-Bruins got two goals from Colby Cave along with a goal from Jakub Zboril while Dan Vladar made his third start of the season in net.
The Sound Tigers opened the scoring just 3:15 into play and grabbed an early 1-0 lead. Devon Toews made a good stop at his blueline to keep the puck in his attacking zone, and from the point fired a shot on Vladar. Michael Dal Colle was camped out in the crease and deflected it by him, sneaking it under his leg pad for his second goal of the season. The P-Bruins converted defense into offense at 7:20 to tie the game at 1-1. Cave intercepted a pass in his defensive zone and split a pair of Bridgeport defenders. On a breakaway, he fired a shot blocker-side high on Chris Gibson for his third goal of the season. The tally gave him a goal in three straight games and sent Providence to the locker room tied 1-1.
It took until there was just 1:45 left in the second period, but the P-Bruins grabbed their first lead of the night thanks to Zboril. Cameron Hughes skated the puck up the right boards into traffic before it getting to Martin Bakos between the circles. Bakos kicked it out to Zboril at the point, and he walked into a one-timer that beat Gibson's glove. Zboril picked up his first goal of the season while Bakos picked up his first North American point on the goal that sent Providence to the second intermission up 2-1.
Yannick Rathgeb tied things back up at 2-2 just 42 seconds into the third period.Sebastian Aho sent a pass to his fellow defenseman Rathgeb, and he made a nice move to deke a P-Bruin, walk in and score his first goal of the season. With 2:11 left in the game, Cave notched his second goal of the night to help Providence regain the lead. After making a nice pass to Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson to keep the play in his zone, the puck made its way to Anton Blidh. Blidh fed Cave who re-entered the zone and he sent a wrister by Gibson's glove to make it 3-2 P-Bruins. However, with just 40 seconds left in the game Parker Wotherspoon blasted in a one-timer to send the game to overtime. It did not take long for the Sound Tigers to end it in the extra frame, as Tanner Fritz sent a centering feed to Mike Sislo, who buried his first goal of the season 32 seconds into overtime to give Bridgeport a 4-3 win.
Vladar stopped 30-34 while Gibson stopped 30-33. Providence was 0-3 on the power play and 6-6 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action tomorrow night at the Dunkin Donuts Center when they welcome the Sound Tigers to town for the second half of this home-and-home series at 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2018
- Phantoms and Penguins Battle in Wild Rivalry Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Top Marlies in Shootout for Fifth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Tame Wild with Second Straight Four-Goal Third Period - Texas Stars
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Win High Octane Game at Lehigh Valley, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Stay Perfect with Shootout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Monumental Start by Montembeault Key to Victory for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Georgiev Backstops Wolf Pack to 4-3 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dal Colle, Rathgeb, Toews all collect multi-point efforts in overtime win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Entertaining Battle in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Devils Shut Down by Crunch, 4-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Edged by Hartford on Home Ice - Belleville Senators
- Comets Fall Short against Cleveland - Utica Comets
- Monsters Outlast Comets, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Shutout Devils, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Third Period Lead Slips Away in 4-3 P-Bruins OT Loss - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Troy Terry to San Diego, Recall Pontus Aberg - San Diego Gulls
- Game #5 Preview: Tucson vs. Rockford - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Look to Rebound in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Gravel Recalled by Oilers; Condors Call up Kulevich - Bakersfield Condors
- Jordan Szwarz Named P-Bruins Captain - Providence Bruins
- Forward Sheldon Dries Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Hosting 11th Annual "Sweets in the Suites" Night on Saturday, October 27 - Rochester Americans
- Comets Break AHL Sellout Streak Record at 121 Games - Utica Comets
- Coyotes Assign Ullstrom to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red Wings Assign Lashoff to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gryba, Schneider Join Binghamton Devils - Binghamton Devils
- Sound Tigers Face Bruins, Phantoms this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Jets Assign Kristian Vesalainen to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Defenseman Ottenbreit Reassigned to Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Ottawa Recalls Paul from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Wolf Pack, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Checkers, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- Steen Scores Twice as P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 4-1
- Asselin's Hat Trick Propels P-Bruins to 4-2 Win over Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Return to the Win Column, Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-2
- P-Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2
- P-Bruins Collect Third Consecutive Win in 5-2 Victory over Hartford Wolf Pack