Game #5 Preview: Tucson vs. Rockford
Game #5 - Tucson (3-0-0-1) vs. Rockford (2-2-0-0)
7:05 PM PST, Tucson Arena, Tucson, Arizona
Referees: #39 Brandon Blandina, #23 Jonathan Sitarski
Linesmen: #58 Colin Besch, #90 Mike Sarter
Kicking off a two-game home stand, the Roadrunners will host the Rockford IceHogs at Tucson Arena for the first time ever Friday night, marking the first of four meetings scheduled between the clubs this season. The IceHogs act as the Roadrunners' 14th opponent in franchise history, and the first of two new opponents they'll play this season.
Rockford, coming off of a 5-2 victory over the Hershey Bears last Sunday on home ice at the BMO Harris Bank Center, have dropped each of their two road games this season, but enter the night with consecutive victories.
Tonight marks the Roadrunners' second home game of the season. The team, following up its 6-4 opener in front of a crowd of 6,327, earned five of six points in posting a 2-0-0-1 mark during a three-game road trip. Tucson remains unbeaten in regulation.
A pair of former Roadrunners grace the IceHogs' roster, defenseman Andrew Campbell and forward Henrik Sameulsson. Campbell, the second team captain in Roadrunners history, is expected to trigger memories and emotions in his return to Tucson Arena this weekend.
"One of my favorite teammates I've ever had, and I bet every guy from the team last season would say that," Conor Garland said of Campbell Friday morning. "Great captain, a good guy, good person, and I'm sure he's happy to be back too."
Forward Lane Pederson has eight points (1G, 7A) in the Roadrunners' last seven home games at Tucson Arena dating back to last March.
THREE THINGS DEPENDABLE DAKOTA: Defenseman Dakota Mermis, through the Roadrunners' first four games, is averaging a point per game, totaling four (1G, 3A), including his first goal of the season Monday night in San Jose. Mermis is tied for second among all defensemen in the AHL with a +/- rating of plus-six.
WHAT'S UP, G?: Conor Garland, upon being cleared from season-starting injured reserve, returned to the Roadrunners lineup last weekend and played in each of the team's three games on the recent California road trip, registering two assists. He is expected to appear in his first home game tonight. "It's nice to get back into playing games, I felt like I hadn't played in a while, so it'll be nice to get a game for myself at home here."
CENTRAL SUCCESS: The IceHogs are one of four Central Division opponents on this season's slate. Last year, the Roadrunners earned points in 13 of 16 games played against Central Division opponents, posting a 13-3-0-0 record. Can the Roadrunners continue their winning ways outside of the Pacific tonight against Rockford?
NUMBER TO KNOW NINETY: 18 of the 20 skaters to have appeared in at least one game for the Roadrunners this season have at least one point, calculating in at 90% of the roster. Not quite as top-heavy offensively this season, balanced output has been a major factor in the team's early success. Two players have four points, three players have three points, seven players have two points, and six players have one point.
GAMEDAY VIDEO [embedded content]
WE'RE DOING IT LIVE Catch tonight's action live on AHLTV or join Roadrunners play-by-play broadcaster Adrian Denny on AM 1450 Fox Sports Tucson as he calls the game from the Roadrunners' flagship radio station, where coverage begins at 6:50 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2018
- Phantoms and Penguins Battle in Wild Rivalry Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Top Marlies in Shootout for Fifth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Tame Wild with Second Straight Four-Goal Third Period - Texas Stars
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Win High Octane Game at Lehigh Valley, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Stay Perfect with Shootout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Monumental Start by Montembeault Key to Victory for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Georgiev Backstops Wolf Pack to 4-3 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dal Colle, Rathgeb, Toews all collect multi-point efforts in overtime win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Entertaining Battle in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Devils Shut Down by Crunch, 4-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Edged by Hartford on Home Ice - Belleville Senators
- Comets Fall Short against Cleveland - Utica Comets
- Monsters Outlast Comets, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Shutout Devils, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Third Period Lead Slips Away in 4-3 P-Bruins OT Loss - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Troy Terry to San Diego, Recall Pontus Aberg - San Diego Gulls
- Game #5 Preview: Tucson vs. Rockford - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Look to Rebound in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Gravel Recalled by Oilers; Condors Call up Kulevich - Bakersfield Condors
- Jordan Szwarz Named P-Bruins Captain - Providence Bruins
- Forward Sheldon Dries Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Hosting 11th Annual "Sweets in the Suites" Night on Saturday, October 27 - Rochester Americans
- Comets Break AHL Sellout Streak Record at 121 Games - Utica Comets
- Coyotes Assign Ullstrom to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red Wings Assign Lashoff to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gryba, Schneider Join Binghamton Devils - Binghamton Devils
- Sound Tigers Face Bruins, Phantoms this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Jets Assign Kristian Vesalainen to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Defenseman Ottenbreit Reassigned to Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Ottawa Recalls Paul from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Wolf Pack, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Checkers, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Roadrunners Announce Opening Night and Additional Dates for 2019-20
- Hockey Continues to Grow with Roadrunners in Tucson
- Pro Footing Found in Tucson; the Roles, Rise, and Reviews of Four Rookies
- Roadrunners Re-Sign Kelly Klima to One-Year Contract
- The Practices Pederson Pushes and His Stellar Sophomore Season